Non Native Skipjack

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Cheez, May 24, 2007.

1. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    OK here is a question for the skipjack experts. Has anyone used or had any success using skipjack in waters that the skipjack don't live. I got turned on to using the bait this week and I am hooked so to speak. However we were fishing in the Tennessee River where they are plentiful and the cats are used to their presence. I want to try them in the Coosa River in GA where they don't live. Surely they will catch fish but how well I guess is my ultimate question.
    Thanks in advance,

Cheez

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    As long as your talking dead skip jack. And cut bait. Yes they will work.
    I have a buddy that used some on a lake that does not have skip jack. And they worked great there also.
    It has a lot to do with all the oil in them that makes them work so great..
    Pete

PS I am not Expert on skip jack or anything else. Just answering the question.

3. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I read an article about Jim Moyer and his operation....Jim said he, at one time, used fresh skipjack....But found out that if you put em in a gallon freezer bag and let em sit in the frig for 3-5 days, it made the cats bite better....He say's it gives the "blood and oil" time to rise to the top of the skin.....Just thought I'd pass that on....It sounds like it would work better....I'm sure the "cats" would determine that, right....Dwight

4. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Thanks for bringing that up. Been on my mind this year as I will vacuume seal several in bag, then not freeze, but keep cold for several days for next trip. My results show them less desirable than fresh when side by side, but we all know different times & places =different results so best to keep mixing it up.

5. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    onlyriverfish,

Well, there's not much gonna take place with the absence of oxygen....I would put them in ziplock gallon bags(he says two to the bag) and let them sit the 3-5 days in the fridge...Then you could transfer then to the vaccum packs and freeze....I don't know what the freezing will do to the texture of the flesh....Dwight