Non levelwind?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by DaveR, Apr 20, 2006.

1. DaveR

DaveR New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Now I don't have any intentions of buying 1 but curiosity has the best of me. How do you get the line to go on evenly on one of those suckers? Are there really any advantages to using one opposed to one with a levelwind system? Any feedback would be helpful because I've been trying to figure out the answers for the last two days and its been driving me crazy.

thanks,
    Dave

2. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Dave,

Nonlevelwind reels have the advantage of less friction on the line (no line rubbing against the levelwind when casting), hence they cast farther then their levelwind counterpart. The way you get your line to spool evenly is with a trained thumb on your nonreeling hand, that massages the line left to right and so forth as you reel in.

You'll see these reels in use in distance casting competitions, and also places where the extra distance can mean the difference between catching a fish or catching nothing.

3. thomas

thomas New Member

State:
    CA
    You move your thumb back and forth, it don't have to be perfect. Later it's automatic.

4. thomas

thomas New Member

State:
    CA
    You move your thumb back and forth, it don't have to be perfect. Later it's automatic.

5. DaveR

DaveR New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Doh,
    I had my suspicions about that being the way its done just wasn't sure.

Thanks guys,
    Dave

6. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    A lot of the ocean reels are this way and allows better use of large line. Your guide pawl can get ripped off when using larger line or when there is a knot joining large line and leader. (I wondered the same thing when I first saw them) Hannibal Mike Around here snaggers after big spoonies and large asian carp often use the reels without levelwind to avoid problems.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Not only do you have line friction with the levelwind, but the turning of the spool has to drive the pawl to make the levelwind go back and forth. That takes energy from the cast, too.

8. BoG

BoG Member

State:
    Delaware
    Name:
    Bo
    Many are used for trolling and reef fishing when you are going to battle fast or hard running fish. The line is the weakest point between you and the fish therefore the less stress/friction on the line is desired to reduce wear and breakoffs.

BoG

9. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    The open face reel or the non levelwind are better for casting. Other than that you thumb the line onto the spool in the retrieve.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here's one disadvantage of a level wind that's seldom thought of. Several years ago, I believe at the first BOC national gathering at Lake Dardanelle, Badkarma, his grandson, and I were drift fishing right below the powerhouse. He hung up, and the rod/reel slipped in his hands so that one hand was cupping the reel. His index finger got caught by the level wind as it moved from right to left. It did a pretty good job of crushing the finger, but didn't break any bones. Fortunately, I was able to unscrew the pawl so he could get his finger out. If he had lost his hold on the rod after getting his finger caught, the reel would probably have stripped most of the meat off the end of the finger.