Non levelwind question, don't touch the line?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by beakus, Jan 16, 2007.

1. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    if the first thing they tell you to do when you get a nice fish on is"dont touch the line" how do you reel in,and guide on line with out "touching" the line,or do you just let it lay on the reel as it comes in?

2. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    What's wrong with touching the line? I've never heard that one.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    beats me pal im in the dark on this one

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Who are "they"..? oh, and welcome to the BOC. Everything you ever wanted to know about catfishing can be found right here. and we're not "they"...:lol:

~~~~~~~~~~
    Dancing is like a shower: one wrong turn and you're in hot water.

5. coldgold

coldgold New Member

State:
    missouri
    I think what they mean is not to grab the line out past the pole and pull on it to get the fish in, or right when u get it to the bank or boat dont grab the line and hold it or pull on it(that takes the spring of the rod out of play)and makes it very easy(easier) to break

6. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have never heard the no touching the line warning. I will guarantee there is a need to touch the line when retrieving on a non level wind. You have to thumb guide the line evenly back on the reel or you will end up with one big wad of line on one side or the middle of the reel.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I never used a level wind reel in my life until I started losing the feeling and use of my hands.For years I just instinctively,with out looking guided my line on the spool with mostly my thumb as I reeled in with or without a fish on.Once you learn,you do it naturally and by instinct.Now that I often can not feel the line,or sometimes the rod,I tend to mess up every way possible including getting part of my hand under the line in the reel if there is room.On good days I can still operate like a starter or learner at a very reduced rate.I never learned how to do it with out touching the line however until I used a level wind reel.I did not know that it could be done.Now once you learn,you will not notice or even normally pay attention to it.It will just be a automatic action like the placing of your feet while walking.Very seldom will you look at or even think about it if you fish often enough with one.The occasional user will be like the occasional user of ever thing else.They will have to pay far more attension to what they are doing.I think that the occasional fisherman who does not fish enough to learn to operate and control the gear is far better off with spin cast and under spin cast equipment,if it will meet their needs.It is far more operator friendly than most types.I have seen many dedicated fishermen with the most modern and expensive of boats,equipment and artificial bait being skunked by a cane pole fisherman and natural bait,fishing along behind them.Humiliating?Yea it was!I have been on both ends of that stick.They now make collapsible and multi piece poles with reel seats,guides and tips up to 20 feet long now.Some will work with any type reel.Who ever thought that we would see the best of both worlds?A cane type pole with a reel on it.They are like all rigs.They are perfect for many situations and useless for the rest.There is something out there that works for everyone.I love you brothers and sisters.peewee

8. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    beakus,

I think the old addage about not touching the line really applies to grabbing it to bring in the fish.

Nothing wrong with touching the line to level it on the spool. If you pump the fish toward you, then drop the rod tip while you are winding, the tension lessens anyway (unless you are working against the drag). Getting the line to level out is absolutely necessary, as it will bunch up and "undercut" itself into the spool if you don't. Then you'll have a big gob of tangled line looking like a b@$$fisherman's backlash! Tougher yet is when a big fish pulls out line and the gob turns to a hard stop - snap!

You need to have the line actually cross over each preceding course on the spool. A good way to see this is to take a black marker and color about 30 feet of your line, and watch it go on the spool. Depending on the width of the spool between the flanges, you should see a spiral develop that takes about 3 to 6 turns to cross the entire spool. A bit of practice will have you working back and forth with your rod thumb, in rythm with the handle turning - second nature and you won't even look at it after a time.

Dennis

9. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    thanks guys i guess i wasnt clear enough,i was always told as a youngster when you catch a fish " dont touch the line or it will break".i didnt really think about the pumping action to releave stress on the line to help guide it on.

10. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I think what whom ever, was talking about slapping your thumb on the spool when you have a big fish on. Not letting the drag do it's work.
    Sounds like a 22 rifle when you do that, lol

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The pumping action with the rod has nothing to do with guiding line onto the reel. The pumping simply reduces tension slightly making it easier to reel.

The old bit about if you touch the line it will break is either a pure wiold wives tale, or at the very least outdated and not applicable to today's lines.

Short answer is that you must touch the line and should and hundreds of thousands of fishermen have been doing so for years to lay the line evenly on reels without a levelwind. Levelwinds are fairly new inventions. I removed the levelwind from one of my reels when it started acting up. It casts slightly farther without it, and I got used to guiding the line within almost minutes, it seemed. Now it's totally automatic and I don't even realize I'm doing it.