Non levelwind bait caster

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by mavrick, Mar 30, 2007.

1. mavrick

mavrick New Member

State:
    kentucky
    could anyone tell me how a non levelwind baitcaster works. i was told that if i was wanting the best casting reel that this was what to get. without the levelwind what keeps the line from winding up in one spot on the spool.

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if you dont have a level wind on a baitcaster you have got to use your thumb and forefinger to guide the line back on the reel.

3. mavrick

mavrick New Member

State:
    kentucky
    that sounds like its more trouble then its worth. so why would anyone want a reel made like this. do they cast that much better then a level wind reel

4. mavrick

mavrick New Member

State:
    kentucky
    what is the best (longest casting) levelwind baitcaster to buy.

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I would recomend an ABU Garcia 6000, 6500, or 7000. Now another fair casting reel is a Penn GTI320 or a GTI310.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I agree with Dread, get a Abu or a Penn u wont be sorry.

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    As far as the farthest casting levelwind reel, that distinction goes to the old double knob 6500 model. I put a new 7000 with 2oz weight on a 10ft surf rod. This reel had abec5 ceramic bearings. I tried it, then tried an old 6500 with the same bearings and weight. The 6500 cast farther. In fact, it casts almost as far as my 7000s on 13ft rods with 3oz. sinkers.

A friend of mine bought one of the new 6500 trophy reels, and it seemed to do about as good as the old 6500 of mine.

If you're needing distance, I'd go with the 6500 or 7000. One thing to remember, if you need distance, and hook a bigun while you're out there, you might want the extra line of the 7000 so you'll still have quite a bit on the spool in case he makes a run on ya.

8. hnterrcc1951

hnterrcc1951 New Member

State:
    indiana
    of coarse everyone knows that penn squidder hold the record for 3oz wt. cast,non level wind 30 or 40 years old.

9. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I thought the old B.O.C. that I read from Gator that the record was set by a Penn Jigmaster 500.

10. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I have 2 non-level wind reels that I have in working condition at the moment a Quantum Iron IR-335 holds 400 yds. of 20 lb. test and a Penn Jigmaster 500 M, I have been working with them for about 2 weeks trying to get distance but it's very hard and as they said the Ambassadeurs seem to be a lot easier to toss I have a 6500c3, 2-5000's and 2 7000c3's and they are quite abit easier to toss than my Penn 320 GT2'S. But I think with practice if you decide to pick up and use a non-level wind reel they wouldn't take a whole lot of practice to get down. I will probably use mine for boat fishing where I don't have to toss them very far, the Jigmaster is a great reel and built like a horse, I believe it's as strong if not stronger than the newer reels built today.

11. crazfish

crazfish New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I HAVE A PENN 60 AND IS NON- LEVEL WIND AND HAVE USED THESE KIND OF REELS FOR MANY YEARS. IF YOU USE IT ENOUGH IT BECOMES NOTHING TO IT JOB, IT'S JUST A NATURAL THING AND YOU BECOME PART OF THE REEL. THAT IS THE WAY OF THE BIG FISHERMEN,S WAYS BACK IN THE DAYS. IF IT'S TOO MUCH TROUBLE FOR YOU, DUNNO WHAT TO SAY. GOOD LUCK.

12. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I have a bunch of non levelwind reels from Abu & Penn that will cast far. If you don't like to thumb the line back on the best casting Abu reel is the ones with the dual end caps found on the CS Pro rockets, CS Chrome Rockets and the old 7000 C3 reels.

13. mavrick

mavrick New Member

State:
    kentucky
    as far as the casting one i believe i could handle that. but for a long cast it seems like it would get tiresome having to guide the line back on the spool. but like you guys are saying after a little practice it would probably become second nature. i guess ill stick with the level winds for now.

14. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Why on earth would you want to pay good money for a reel that doesn't do what you need it to do..... (Put the line on the reel properly) Fishing is supposed to be fun.... not work!!!

15. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have 2 Squidders and a Newell which are very nice non level wind casting reels. I have used them for years, and never owned a level wind reel until last year. I now use a 6500CS Pro Rocket and a 7000CS Pro Rocket. Since I now only bank fish and fish the river in heavy currents and plenty of potential trouble, the retrieve speed on the Squidders are not fast enough. I have no problem with distance with the Pro Rockets. As Storm Caster noted, they have dual cast controls, and you can get plenty of distance with them. Put them of quality 12' rods, and let er fly. Good luck.

16. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I have on old Penn 155. It is nonlevelwind and a very durable reel. It will out throw, both my 209s and my Penn 9 with little effort. At first it was a pain to lay the line on the reel, but after I got used to it, it was like someone else said in a previous post, Second nature. Vern