Non-Lead sinkers help

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Goldenshinner, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

I have switched over to non-lead for almost all fishing with the exception of flatheading.on a side note related to this subject: local state and federal regulations are comming down hard on manufacturers of fishing gear.its not if, but when our heavy weights will be forced to switch. the guys who manufacture jigs probably will be hit hardest as steel alternative jiggs are very expensive to tool up for production.im mainly trying to switch out of health.

im just a concerned consumer, I dont purchase leaded jiggs ect if I can avoid it. in fact I dont have a drop of lead(ha ha) in my house with the exception of my river boat, and related equipment. for this I cast out 4-12 oz weights, litterally by the bucket loads. depending on were im fishing I can go thru alot of lead. and this bothers me. I am desperatly searching for a lead free alternative especialy since Ive got kids at home.

some of my river pals use big heavy screws, mainly because they find them cheaper(and they can be!!), I have used railroad spikes and other random pieces of metal. the ideal object would be cheep, already in mass production, heavy, at least 4oz, and smooth. I imagine that on a national catfishing board some members either are using or have some idea. so please help me. thanks.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    May be a case of being overly cautious. I believe for any amount of lead to harm you, you must injest or take the lead into your body. By simply handling the lead, you would probably need to handle the lead for more years than you can possibly live before you can get a measureable amount. This lead scare originated in children eating lead based paint. Once started, it spread to everything, including sinkers. My opinion, and it is strictly my opinion as I have no facts to back my thought up, is that this "fear" is another of the governments chicken little tactics that has gone astray. Some beaurocrat (sp) must really feel good. Look at all the government/scientific warnings as to what causes or contributes to cancer - they leave anything off the list?

3. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

I think you are partialy right. Lead is a weird substance, it is chemicaly nearly identical to calcium. but it is nearly insoluable in water. BUT, your exposure level is cumulative. you can reduce your exposure, but every little bit adds up. for nonreproductive older males it probably is not as much an issue as younger kids, and women.

I have personaly gone thru great expenses to remove leaded paints, and siding in my house etc. again I dont buy much leaded jigs. only leads I have are my catfish stuff. and those I dump into the river by the pail full. last month I would bet I gone thru atleast 10pounds of lead!!!

incidently most of my weights I pour myself. thus increasing my exposure even more. so I am in the quest to compleate my switch to lead free alternatives.

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if you rig your butane tank up to use as a blow tourch and use a thick cast iron pot you can melt zink.its almost as heavy as lead and you can pour it in a mold.we used dirt molds dont know what it would do to an alum. mold.

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Will I have made sinkers for over 30 years and so did my father and his father. If you listen to everything that theysay is bad for you hell you will never do anything in live. Don't drink mike or eat meat, eggs are bad. Well you know what I come from a long line of farmers and country redneck, we eat meat ,egg pork and what ever we like. My grandfather smoked for 70 years and died at 92 my dad is now 65 and i will be 46. We all have made tohe best of our lives. I know alot of people who spent alot of time watch what they eat and all that stuff and get sick alot or even die at a young age.
    just make the best of everyday because tomorrow can be your last one. When its your time to go you can't stop it so I will have as much fun today as I can and deal with tomorrow when and if it comes.

Poeple who spent to much time thing about things like that end up having heart attacks.

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think Tim and all have a good point (Tim, btw - I believe that stress is the basis for most sicknesses. Some people stress themselves out worrying about getting sick so much that they make themselves sick!). If yoiu take reasonable precautions (plenty of ventilation while melting lead, wash hands after handling lead, etc.) it's probably not going to be high on the list of real health hazards for you.

That said, though, if you want to reduce your use of lead as much as possible, that's not a bad thing. Go for it! What about any of the lead substitutes that they are offering now for sinkers? Tungsten, bismuth, etc? Can any of those be melted at home and used to cast your own weights?

As for substitute items to use instead of sinkers, I think the biggest problem would be the snagging issue. Spikes, nuts, bolts, etc all will tend to snag and hang up more often than a nice round or smooth sinker. Maybe something long and smooth (kind of like a no-snag sinker) would work? A piece of tubing filled with something heavy could work. Or the old sandbag trick? Or smooth round river rocks attached breakaway style? They'd be kind of tough to cast, but they'd be non-toxic and totally environtally friendly when "donated" to the river. Let's see, I guess I would tie a sort of bridle around the rock with cotton twine and then attack a swivel to tie onto your line...

What do you think?

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am going to stick with my lead sinkers, untill the goverment tell me to stop Its a lot more other stuff that can make u sick other than lead.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If I were you, I would stay away from a lead pencil. It will kill you faster then lead sinkers.
    Nickle lite. Can be used to pour sinkers. Don't know the price of it. but it can be poured just like lead.
    Pete

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    C A U T I O N !
    It's soapbox time.
    You have the right to not read the following.
    You have the right to agree or disagree with it if you do read it.
    In either case, you have the right to state your own views.
    If you can't type and cannot afford to learn, tough. A typist will NOT be provided to you free of charge.

It's a proven fact that eating lead is harmful to your fact. I'm not so sure that I agree with those people who've decided that if it's harmful to eat, it must be harmful to touch, too. Sorry, but that just doesn't follow. We are exposed to many, many things that we never think twice about touching, but are sure to wash our hands afterward because eating those things will harm us. Of course, there is more than one way of ingesting something. The most common methods are to eat or drink it, or to breathe it. But I've been pouring my own sinkers and jigs since the early 1950s, several years before I became a teenager...with no adverse effects. I've been around second hand cigarette smoke all my life with no adverse effects. I've been in a closed room where a number of people were smoking, with no adverse effects. But it's illgeal to pull up in front of a hospital entrance in a motor vehicle, leave it running, and get out to help someone while smoking a cigarette. I propose a nationally televised test between the two. Put a specified number of people who believe that tobacco smoke should be banned, but that vehicle exhaust should not be banned into a garage with a vehicle. No one will be allowed to smoke tobacco, but the vehicle will be running. In another garage, place an equal number of people who smoke, along with a vehicle that will NOT be running. Each and every person will smoke for the entire duration of the test, however. All doors and windows closed, and the test begins. Two hours, the doors are opened, and the two groups will compare notes....if possible. My point? Secondhand smoke, like fumes from occasionally melting lead, MAY harm you over a period of many years; Vehicle exhaust can, and will, kill you in just a few minutes. Anybody out there having any trouble telling which is more dangerous, the smoke that's being legislated against, or the smoke that ISN'T being legislated against?

And, no, I'm not a smoker. But I think it's absolutely wrong for smokers to be legislated against for something much more harmful that non-smokers are getting away with scott-free. Admittedly, smokers are doing this same thing, but isn't it kind of like worrying about a bank robber jaywalking while he's running away from the bank?

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I think that "Good Health is the SLOWEST Way in which One Can Die". Never take life to seriously, you will never make it out alive anyway!!!

11. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I actually use commercially-made steel sinkers, but I use only 1/2 oz. If you use a Carolina rig with the amount of weight that you mentioned, it'd look like you had the world's largest caterpillar on the end of your line.

-- Rich

12. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    If you tried to use a 1/2 once weight here, your bait would never hit bottom, LOL!!! We use 5 to 12oz. weights to get the job done. Heck, My hooks weigh a 1/2 oz., LOL!!!

13. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Think I would be more worried about mercury in the water then lead.

14. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    With that in mind, I should also mention that the fish I end up catching are probably the size the Dreadnaught uses for bait:big_smile:.

15. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    LMAO!!! I bet!!!:cool2:

16. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Yeh but the fish he catches are usually smaller than his bait! LMAO!!! :crazy:

17. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ive posted this be fore but if you dont need more than 2 or 3 ounces of weight old sparkplugs work fine and they are free.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Got another one of my Rube Goldberg ideas; y'all let me know what you think about it. If small weights inside something like parachute cord makes a good, no-snag, lightweight sinker, what could be used to make 6-8 ounce sinkers of that type to use below dams/powerhouses? What about a piece of water hose and egg sinkers? Of course, you'd have to use a little extra weight to make up for the added resistance in the water, but it seems to me taht it ought to work. If you want something a little more flexible, how about a piece of watering hose? The type that lays flat when empty, but when it fills up with water pressure, swells into a more or less round shape, and sprays water out the top, which has lots & lots of tiny holes in it. Use the right size hose, and the right size egg sinkers, and the sinkers should just slide right in. Or, maybe just slide in several spark plugs.
    A wad of contractors' glue, hot glue, or whatever to plug the bottom end of the hose; drill a couple of holes through the top end to tie your line to.