Non game fish...why?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by foothills, Feb 11, 2007.

1. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    at the risk of offending some people...i was wondering about your opinion on trapping, trotlining, hoop netting, jugging, and such for cats...i won't get on the guys that catfish commercially for a living because that is what puts food on the table for their families...but the recreational side of this is what bothers me...i passed a guy on the road today that must of had a trailer with 30 or so traps on it and it got me thinking...why can you use all these methods to "catch" catfish plus there is no size or creel limit on cats in most south carolina waters...i can't imagine what the catfishing would be like if there were creel limits, size limits, and seasons on catfishing...why are they treated like a "trash" fish...can you imagine if they allowed trapping and such on BASS or CRAPPIE...the outcry would be of astronomical proportion...people would freak...but if they allow catfish to be harvested pretty much anyway you can think of...it's ok...also how well are these methods of catfishing monitored because i know of a trotline that sits in the water 24/7 near mud island at lake greenwood...the law says you gotta have your lines and such picked up by one hour after daylight...the most expensive tag for a "nongame fishing" method is $10 each for hoop netting...why not jack these prices up or at least spend the money made on catfishing on catfishing and catfish preservation...it is even against the law to keep "game fish" when they are caught in a cast net...if you can trap and such for cats...why can't i keep the 8 slab crappies i caught in my cast net...and finnally why do they call our catfish..."NONGAME FISH":angry:

2. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Not real sure why. I think the bio guys feel we would be up to our armpits in catfish if the state didn't allow people to take them out however they can. I really don't have a problem with taking out the eating size by the big coolerful. the Santee Guides Association's quest to have limit on fish greater that 34" (one per angler I think). This is not a law but is what they are lobbying for. The guides on Santee feel that their livelyhood is being threatened because they say the number of big fish has declined. We have batted this topic about several times. Many differing opinions on this. I support the release of all big cats all over SC not just in Marion and Moultrie. To me it just makes sense to do so for a lot of reasons.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Its simple; the sqeaky wheel gets the oil.

Striper, largemouth and crappie fishermen have been a more focused and vocal group that those who fish for catfish.

4. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I would say that at least half of the catfisherman out there are not doing it for sport, they are doing it to put food on the table and they would be very against these regulations. I think the sport catfisherman would meet alot of resistance from other fisherman if laws were going to be changed. would be nice though!

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I think we would be up to our armpits in catfish if there was no nongame devices used.Even with all the pressure they get, they still thrive.Whatever restrictions that they have on the James River and Tennessee River system I think would be the best for us also.A 50lb fish dont even turn a head in those waters.Then again when all those big females start spittin out all those baby catfish every year things might start to get a little crowded.Which is what the biologists says the problem on Santee is right now.I think this is where the trotlines and traps come in to play.Theres thousands of ways to look at it.Having to many big spawnin fish may cause overpopulating causing the overall size and growth rate to decrease, who knows? Just a thought.This is why catfish need more evaluation because not only does it affect the catfish but all the other fish that the biologists want to protect too.

6. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    there should be a heck of a lot more restrictions than there are now ill tell you for sure. even in indiana where theres alot of pay lakes and stocking programs theres still alot of commercial fishing going on in our rivers. theres no limit on anyway of taking catfish in rivers and streams and i beleave a 25 fish limit with no size restrictions taken on lakes and ponds. someone correct me if im wronge on that. but back to the point, most people view bass, crappie, stripers, and other "Game Fish" to be a speices that needs protection next to the catfish which is viewed as a nuseice(sp?) by most. alot of bass and crappie anglers that fish strictly for bass and crappie look at a catfish like the members on here look at an asian carp. you cant have any fish with no restrictions at all. cuz eventually no matter how fast they reproduce its gunna kill the population. wildlife management is needed for every species of animal, weather it be a catfish or crappie all the way to deer and moose. how many speices have gone extenct or close to it from over hunting? ever heard of the sibarian tiger? grey wolf? im not sure, just my views and opinions on it. thanks

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I think knowledge is going to be our key fighting tool. I fish an area that has been devestated by trot lines and limb lines. I have fished these waters since I was a small boy and it has always been a great place to fish until the last 5 years. There are regs on these methods just no enforcement. I had an officer @ the DNR tell me that the majority of the people want the catfish #s down lower. I am working with a biologist in my area to conduct some creel surveys and tag-n-release program to try and build some data base. There has not been a study on catfish in my area sice 1983 that is sad. That is why i say knowledge is the key. Call your local biologist and keep on the to do some study on them and offer your help. Keep an eye on the NC guys they have been working hard on this so they no what hurdles we will have to go through.

8. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    right now a lot of people are putting out them traps for crappie its aganst the law but is done on a big time bases in sc

9. WhiskerSticker40

WhiskerSticker40 New Member

State:
    SC
    Greetings everyone:
    A couple of co-workers told me about you guys and I appreciate the opportunity to learn from you guys. Hopefully this is going to be done correctly, but if it is not please don't shoot me this time. It is great to hear discussions such as this and I think there are two important elements that we all need to remember: 1. DNR is extremely understaffed to enforce every rule on the books every day. It is our duty to make a DNR officer aware of an area of concern that we are aware of. If you saw someone steal your neighbor's car, would you not call the PD? I know some of us would rather they steal our neighbors instead but you get my point. 2. DNR biologists propose the regulations but they are actually passed through our legislative body. Therefore, never forget that we must all get to know our elected officials and get them to know us. My House of Representative's delegate and I have become quite good friends after I needed his help roughly 5 years ago. He said one important thing back then: "Call me and let me know what is important to you." That has stuck with me ever since. Simply put guys: The legislative bodies are there for us, by us. However, they can only hear us if we speak! OK, I am off of my soapbox and THANKS again. I will be more than happy to provide anyone with the name and contact info for their respective delegates if you want it.
    See Ya Soon!
    WhiskerSticker40

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Craig I feel your pain There are no size limits on cats in New Mexico and a 15 fish limit .The limit is ok by me but having caught zero cats at our local lake I would like to see a size limit like the 14" limit on bass and walleye