Non-fishing Boaters

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by KyRiverCats, Jul 31, 2006.

1. KyRiverCats

KyRiverCats New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Has anyone else had any problems with boaters on Taylorsville intentionally interferring with you while you are fishing? I was there last week and this is the first problem I've had. I was all the way up past Van Buren Ramp in a no wake zone. I had a large runabout come past me at full throttle. A few minutes later, he came back down. this time he had his motor trimmed almost all the way up at full throttle as if he was trying to see how big of a wake he could make as he went past me. I also had another boat and some jet skiers up in there in the no wake zone and they didn't pay any attention to the no wake buoys either

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Ron, sorry to hear that. If water patrol or a CO sees them running hard in a no wake it will be a nice fine for them. There are good respectable boaters as well as nonrespectable ones. I was fishing the mouth of a feeder river in the Ohio yesterday and this huge pleasure craft barely even waked me. He was running full throttle and saw me in my dingy and just barely idled by. That's usually not what they do so I waved real polite and nodded my head in thanks. Vern

3. flatheadmaniac

flatheadmaniac New Member

State:
    Missouri
    well i dont fish there but i have a lot of that stuff happen to me when im fishing the missouri. sometimes it seems like there just trying to make me mad, although there are also a lot of nice people who try to respect the fact that you are there.

4. Kentucky_Cat_Hunter

Kentucky_Cat_Hunter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I love to see people like that get fined. I need to get up to Taylorsville Lake and do some fishing soon.

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    most pleasure boaters arent out there to watch for you they worry bout them selves iv seen them ski in front of a barge ,if that skier fell he be toaste ,seen them rip by so close to my flat bottom that i could see the color of their eyes , like i said they have not a care in the world for you could careless if you drown ,its a dog eat dog world on the water ,if you dont watch out for number one you will wish you had.

6. KyRiverCats

KyRiverCats New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The problem that I've found with most of the rivers and lakes I fish is that I do not have cell phone coverage. You can bet that if I'd had coverage last week I would have made a call or two.

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Guys I know this makes us mad, it does me but it is not the job of these people to slow down for us. It is really our duty not to be on the water in a boat that can't take the action of other boats. Pleasure boats are always bigger than us and we won't change that, they can't slow down for every fishing boat they come across. Some people with big boats may do these things but for the most part I don't believe they even think about it nor should they have to spend their time looking out for boats that are not safe for the enviroment.

At one time I allowed these people to make me mad and since I changed my thinking I am much happier on the water. Now this being said if one these boaters do these thing with intent it becomes our duty to do something about them as they are unsafe to others and themself. You know...call police or whoever is in charge on your water or heck ...a 22 makes small holes... I didn't say that last part.

Anyway try thinking different so you will not be mad on the water, go with the flow, that really all we can do with our little boats.

8. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    What makes me mad is when I'm bank fishing, these boats, some fishing/some not will get as close to the bank as they can and go by messing up lines and everything.

This one area we like to fish, there won't be a boat around until they see us starting to catch a few and in no time, you can't even get your line in the water because of all the boaters, and what's worst, they are fishing for bass.

A few weeks ago, we were there and this little boat just kept passing back and forth right where I was trying to fish and each time he would pass, he would just smile and wave.

With all the water these boaters can use, why do they insist on fishing where people are bank fishing? If they want to fish that close to the bank, put the boat up.

I almost got my self in trouble a couple months back.
    Where we fish, they have a little dock that runs along the side of the bridge and sometimes small boats will try and get under the dock instead of going down so they can get to the other side.
    We had a couple boats do this and I was getting pretty mad by then, then I heard another one coming under and I yelled, I wish these S.O.B.s would keep these F----- boats out of here and I made sure I said it loud enough he could here.
    Almost died when I found out it was the game warden checking licensee.

Ken

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    In response to the title of your thread. "They have no rite to breath my air!" LOL!

10. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    All boats a suppose to follow the coast guard regulations.
    The smaller slower boat has the right of way.
    The no wake area are to stop erosion.
    Pleasure boaters and jetskiers cannot indanger a fisherman, If they swarmp you they are LIABLE for you.
    If people would only read and learn the regs. things would be a lot better for all.

If you can get a Description and boat #'s the CO can site them on your word.

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Think you have problems with power boaters, try fishing from a kayak or canoe. The bozos don't know and/or don't care about the rules. Rowed and sailing craft are supposed to have the right away and there ain't supposed to be no wake when passing a fishing craft closely. But they pay little attention. A few seem to take pleasure trying to swamp my kayak by coming too close at speed. Not easy to do, mine is a very stable kayak. Saturday I got the last laugh on a big inboard/outboard...21 footer or longer. He got stuck on a bar in the middle of the lake, didn't know the lake in that area. With my trusty depth finder, I helped him find deeper water...he needed 34" for draft, the bar ran 10 or so feet wide and probably 50' long. I showed him the way off and directed him to a deeper channel. If only the bozo had bought a $60 depth finder. Oh, 30 minutes later, he came back through and got stuck again. Didn't help him the second time.

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Isn't that why they make these cute little cameras. Bet the Dept. of Wildlife would enjoy a boat (with registration numbers) swamping a "no wake" sign. They get a ticket based on that evidence. All it takes is a little time and a jpg.

13. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    A lot of people I have seen that act in these ways are just too immature to be on the water. I have seena lot of it at LOZ. It seems a lot of people in my age group with Daddy's boat. More money than brains. It isn't jsut fisherman that these people mess with. I have had people come by on skis and spray an anchored pontoon boat that we were on jsut hanging out and enjoying the water.

There are plenty of people who boat responsibily, but there are enough people who are irresponsible to make it bad out there.

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't think smaller boats have the right away, you have it wrong. The bigger boat always has the right away as it can not respond to the acts of smaller boats.

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
  16. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That had to be written by a lawer. I think all it said was that a big boat don't have the right to run down a sail boat or fisherman. It didn't say how close it could come.:confused2:

17. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Check the boating regulations in your state. Some have added regulations in addition to those of the CG.

18. SIVART22573

SIVART22573 New Member

State:
    Pewee Valley, Kentucky
    you can't cure stupid, there is and will always be stupid people, regardless of what the regulations say, it's just plain old common curtosy not to be an a**hole, I was trolling for walleye at greenriver lake last year and some guy drove a jet ski through my lines, lucky for him the lines broke before the lure came up out of the water and wrapped around his head, but this was obviously an accident, I can deal with that, It's those groups of idiots in daddy's boat, trying to show off that tick me off, they're really brave young men as long as they know they can out run your boat. maybe I should keep a cup of 5 oz. sinkers handy so I can launch one at the drivers head. LOL.