non baitcasting rod question.

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by tomcat85, Sep 5, 2006.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    can you use a non baitcasting rod with a baitcasting reel? do you think it would matter? help would be great! thanks brothers!

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

While the cast would not be effected the strength would be due to the spine of the rod being 180 degrees off. I think you would be ok for small fish are as a quick replacement but would not recommend tackeling bigger fish with it.

3. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    hmm i thought the only differance was the finger rest thing?

4. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    Just remember that the spine of the rod is set for either spinning or casting. So, if you use one in the place of the other, you are standing a better chance of braking a good rod. Also, if you are putting a spinning reel on a casting rod, the guides are to small.

5. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    ah i see now thanks guys.

6. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Well this is just MY opinion,I actually use the rods that are in question and have never had any problems with catching or even having a pole brake in those instances. Like I said this just my opinion

7. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    so the spines are different in the rods? ive never heard that lol. i just thought the litlle finger rest was the only differance oh well. guess i was wrong.

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Tom, The responses were about Spinning Rods. Most people would think that when you mentioned non bait casting. The first eyes are bigger and the backbone of the rod is on the opposite side as mentioned. If you are merely asking whether the trigger on one style of bait casting rod compared to a straight handle rod makes a difference, the answer is no. :big_smile:

9. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    HAHA so the baitcasting reel will work with just any old regular rod?

10. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    lol im so confused with this whole post. i want to use a baitcasting reel on an ugly stik cat rod. i guess the question im trying to ask is do you have to have a certain rod for the baitcasting reel or will any rod work?

11. nitro

nitro New Member

State:
    Dover, TN
    A baitcasting reel will work with any baitcasting rod.. A spinning reel will work with any spinning rod. They don't inter-mingle. Baitcaster sits on top of rod, spinning hangs from the bottom. Hope this helps.