non agressive flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Jul 6, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i went below a tal race and had my usual set uup a big bluegill and waited the guy next to me was slaying flathead after flathead using worm , and i was catching nothing , so i swiched to worm and the barly pulled on my poll so i would reel a turn or to to set the circal hook in there mouths i ended up with a 6 and a 10 pounder, i was wondering wy they did not run with my bluegill and why they were just sucking on worm, also they were full of eggs both of them female, i could barley feel the bite alot of times i thought it was the current any advice on this sitiation would help also it was daylight

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i should of posted this as lite biters

3. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I have seen this before. I have had a pole with crawlers get way more action and or other people with me using crawlers getting more action. I figure there not as hungry or they would take whatever they could find. Intead they are taking the easier snack. Also if you had a really large blugill I can see why a 6 pd flathead would go for the worm first. It's alot of work for him to chase and eat that bugger. Then since they both had eggs maybe they were not wanting to get gorged, no tellin. I often fish with live and cutbait at the same time now and I see more action on the cut but usually the larger fish on the live.

4. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Then again, DON'T ALL PREGNANT WOMEN ACT WEIRD ????

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Occasionally if Im not as hungry, I prefer spaghetti over meat and potatoes for dinner.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    they were full of eggs so they had to eat small stuff? lol like walter said sometimes you just want a snack.

7. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Flatheads are oppertunistic feeders and will not pass up a free meal, as for the light bite: they don't need to nail a nightcrawler as they do a baitfish, the only reason they will nail a fish harder is because the fish has the potential to get away quickley as the nightcrawler does not, also the size of the bluegill may have somthing to do with them not taking it, but I see no problem for a 10 pound flat taking a large gill but like said before you never know.

8. maumee river man

maumee river man New Member

State:
    ohio
    i think at times they just like the easier meal which is the crawler