Nolin River Lake?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by BentRod, Aug 28, 2005.

1. BentRod

BentRod New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My brother and I are coming down Labor day weekend. Kinda last minute trip. Just wondering if anybody on the site fishes Nolin and could give us some tips. I haven't found too much info on the lake. In a catfish book I have it is marked as a good flathead fishery, and that is what we will be targeting.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. milom98

milom98 New Member

I don't fish the lake but if you get a chance make sure you hit the tailwaters up. Of course with all this rain we've had it might not be fishable. Anyways catching Flatheads there is pretty hit and miss but they are there. I've never caught nothing bigger than 17 lbs but have seen one 40 + caught and heard of bigger ones being caught. Use live bluegill, shad or a big wad of nightcrawlers for bait. The best places to fish are on the far side down in the bend below the sidewalk or between the walls. If you want a mess of channels make sure you take some chicken livers with you. Me and a friend caught all we could pack of channels earlier this year and that's after we gave away 2 nice messes of them. Most were in the 2 to 6 lbs range but there was a few 10 pounders and 1 nice 14. Sorry I can't help you out on the lake but maybe you can use this as a backup plan.

3. BentRod

BentRod New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I saw that the lake was up about a foot from all the rain. I've read that a good rain will get the bite started, but also that the fish are more spread out.
    I plan on using bluegills, but I was wondering if there was any other forage in the lake other than shad and bluegill, like maybe skipjack or cisco. I also read something about trout in the lake, I'm sure a flathead wouldn't pass up six or eight inch rainbow. We will for sure try the tailwaters. We are bringing a boat, so hopefully we can find out where the big ones live and feed. Oh by the way thanks for the reply.

4. milom98

milom98 New Member

Actually the lake is up a little over 5 feet and since they aren't letting a lot of water go yet it's still rising. Heres a link where you can check the levels daily.http://www.lrl.usace.army.mil/wc/reports/lkreport.html

As for forage in the lake I don't think there are any skips and almost certian there are no cisco's. They stock the tailwaters with plenty of trout (you'll find that out if you use chicken liver there) but I wouldn't want to get caught using them for bait.

Good luck