Noise,vibrations, and electricity

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by s_man, Sep 24, 2007.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    This thread is a companion to the "watch that light" thread by Rollo.
    In order to catch larger flatheads on a regular basis you need to forget all you heard and learned growing up about catfish. They are apex predators, like sharks of fresh water. If you think they are bottom feeders and slow witted and easy to catch you'll never catch a big one. There are multitudes of things you must do to give yourself the best chance of a 30+ fish. They all have been discussed on this board at one time or another, you just have to read it all. You have to read and digest everything and come up with a plan of attack that suits you. Some things you may agree with some you may not, but if you never try it, you'll never know. So now I have a few things that I do to ensure I have a good chance. Just remember all this is to catch big flats consistently. Noise is gonna be your biggest bar to catching large flats after the light thing. I catch more and bigger flats when I'm alone in the boat than I ever have with a partner. The reason is when two guys are in a boat they can't help but talk. I know some guys yak all night over a radio and catch flatheads but day in and day out you will catch more big ones if you are quiet. This also includes dropping stuff stomping on the bank etc anything that puts vibrations into the water will scare off most old wise fish. My last pet peeve is electricity in the boat. I don't like to leave anything running. Like depth finders, aerators, lights, anything that runs off the batteries. I have read a report of a salmon charter capt. out in Alaska who put a meter over the side of his boat to test the current given off from his boat when the electronics were on and off. Big suprise the meter read higher with stuff turned on. He also went on to note that he caught more fish with his clients when the boat ran silent. That means no electronics turned on. Since I incorporated that little gem and others I feel my success rate has went up. This is just for info pourposes and you can disregard if you want but I feel the more weapons at my disposal the better I do.

2. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i agree with the light and noise. but never did really think of the electronics part. thanks for the helpful post im in need of a 30+ flathead

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Cmon Skip, I know you are a die hard, but... um.... how do you keep your bait alive? I am not gonna leave them over the side to warn the big boys.....

You really think dropping an 8 ounce sinker on the floor of an aluminum boat is going to scare of the predator? I do to which is why I cast so far lol!

Jack, I am sorry but we can no longer fish together cause Skip says that you voice carries and that flatheads are republican agnostics and your talk ticks them off. He also says that your hot air raises the water temprature so I guess we can fish together in winter....
    Ummm... Skip.... What about the vibration of the anchor rope? How about the aluminum smell of the boat or the noise of the water on the boat? Maybe I'd better just stick to the little uns.

Man, you guys are HARDCORE! :smile2:

4. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    I know if you turn on your fishfinder when your boat's out of the water and listen real close, you can hear the transducer sending out clicks. My dad brought this lawn chair to set in my boat one time. I swear PETA designed the thing to scare off fish:angry: After listening to what sounded like a reinactment of D Day for about 20 min, we beached the boat and fished from shore. Needless to say, that chair's banned from my boat!

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    this is why when i lake fish i setup from the bank. especially when fishing shallow water. i think the river can absorb more sound and vibration. esp. in the areas i fish with fast current ripping over logs and through rocks. however, i still try to be as quiet as possible. big flatheads will scatter when giving them unnatural sounds. lakes, it is sooo quiet at night you can hear a deer fart from across the lake! lol. i think any movement, the drop of a sinker or any electric source will send off much more sound that makes them biguns leave immediately. i think they are spooked much like bass can be. i'm sure you can debate as many things as you want. we will never know totally what is right or wrong. but, i will tell you that i try to do everything i can to better my odds to keep that monster close to the bait i have out there..goodluck, rollo

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I think some of those things are just old wifes tales or maybe it depends on where you're fishing because I was on a boat where a 44lb flathead was caught with the anchor light on , the baitwell pump was running, a radio playing and three people having a conversation but that was on the Ohio river, maybe those flats are just used to a lot of noise from the river barges every few minutes.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    LOL, Thanks Shawn. I like to hang my bait over the side of the boat in a modified Plano bucket of my own design, this ensures plenty of oxygen and no batteries or electric motors. We all know if its running, its giving off noise and vibrations. It doesn't matter if you can hear or feel it. The only question is can the fish hear and feel it. I may be wrong (not) but I choose to err on the side of caution. I just feel that the fish I want to target are more in tune with their surroundings than most folks want to believe. Like I said its just one guys opinion lol. As for Jack and you catching big flats, I think I would have seen more photos if you were catching them lol. I'm sorry, I had to get in one jab. If you are fishing in the correct places and still not catching the fish you want to, then maybe its time to change tactics and try a different approach. I might not be full of it after all lol.

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    OUCH!

I don't make noise, its those guys I take with me. I do let the baitwell run though although most of the time I turn off the pinger.

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Shawn, Go HARDCORE or don't go at all. LOL

10. Todd 7479

Todd 7479 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have one for you we talk about noise and vibration how about the noise and vibes from bait clickers think about the old two cans tied to both ends of the string does that vibration travel clear to the fishes mouth if so I quess all we can do is hope the bait is swallowed before the vibes get there??????????

11. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    That is one reason I use circle hooks,I leave the reel engaged with the click on and set the drag to where it dont slip until the rod is loaded

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i like a light baitclicker...and most of the time when i get an intial run, i pick up the reel..place into freespool and thumb the spool. still allowing the fish to run until i think he has the bait to engage and set. if i pick it up and it doesn't stop running, i leave the clicker engaged til i set knowing the fish has to be there...rollo

13. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i have to agree with the radio going and the loud talking. at least here on the lower colorado river. last few times i've been out, i was either was with someone, playing radio low, talking or just playing radio. no flatties. trips before, no radio or talking, catching flats.
    one lake around here, i won't even allow anything except a red or green lite to be lit up in the boat. people are told that before we go out. had a few bring regular lites and haven't asked them out since. flatties are smart, at least i believe that.
    gary