Noise and catfishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Love Them Cats, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I've always heard a lot of noise and stuff like would scare the fish away?

The other night we were fishing at our usual place, a boat ramp, and we were getting a few bites, here and there.

A boat wanted to load up, so we had to move until they got loaded.
    Once we got back to fishing, they were biting like crazy for a while.

I didn't think they would start biting for quiet awhile after they loaded the boat?

Did it help stirring up the water when they were loading the boat?

It seems like every time a boat comes around, they bite better?

Do you think that made any difference, or was it just a coincidence that they started biting better after they loaded the boat?

Ken

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I think that catfish like any animal have learned where to find an easy meal and will wait for the "diner bell". Like when your bank fishing and the waves come rolling in it stirs up the water and the bottom and you start getting bites.

3. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I've had this happen a couple of times the first a guy went tooling by at full bore we were anchored how rude hey but right after we started getting fish.
    I think it's the fish are just laying on the bottom and a boat goes by and stirs them up this happens in trout and salmon fishing too only my thoughts.

Doug

4. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I seen this happen several times and your right it is rude to not slow down in a small restricted area. But if you will notice most of the time it's not cat chasers, it's water beaters!

5. Boots28

Boots28 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I agree, When the waves and the boats start moving the water around the fish get a little more active.

6. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I think that fish are like any other animal, they adapt to their surroundings, and grow acustomed to noises and activities. Lake fish are used to swimmers, skiers, jet skiers, boat traffic, etc. River and small lake/pond fish however are more sensative to noise, and will spook much easier.

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    My thoughts are that any sudden loud noise in a boat where that sound is transferred to the water will spook fish. Have experienced many times what every one has mentioned with a wake churnin up some bites. I always raise hell with any one on my boat that has to drop stuff on the deck or slam the lid to the cooler. LOL! Now blarein ZZTop music or screamin at the top of your lungs may bother any other fishermen but it won't spook the fish. LOL!

8. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I agree loud sharp noises in a boat are a bad thing, but I have noticed more action when boat go by. I think fish in noisier stretches of the river get used to it.

9. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I think the boat might of pushed them into your area, most fish react on smell and noise. So the boat noise probably lured them around your bait, and then they picked up the scent and headed right to it.

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    When anchor fishing boat noise will definately spook the fish. I generally throw as far as I can away from the boat for that reason and will get more runners than someone fishing right beside me in the boat. But as far as your situation when a boat leaves out churning the water they will put a lot of oxygen in the water and that will get the bait fish moving and the fish in turn will start feeding.

11. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Let's give Big George a big Amen on that one...:lol:

12. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    Though it can be frustrating to have a boat go blazing by I have to agree that it can help with the fishing at times. But I think if it is repeated like we experienced last weekend at the lake then it will drive them away. We had some waverunners that decided that our neck of the woods was a great spot to play. I know they saw us because they looked at my middle finger when they continued to stay in our area and returned the same jesture. My son and I packed up and moved to a different spot were we did not have to compete with the water rockets. I don't have anything against them only I think you should be respectfull of others. The lake has alot of water and it is all wet.

13. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    It is also possible that the cats by the ramp get used to people tossing the last of their bait overboard at the end of the trip and getting a free easy meal.:0a23:

14. MidOhioCat

MidOhioCat New Member

State:
    Columbus, OH
    I caught an 8 pound flathead from the Ohio river only about 30' away from where a group of teenagers were swimming. In fact they were using a rope swing and jumping in the water and making a big ruckess. Since it wasn't quite dark I didn't mind, they were there first. Anyway, I ended up thanking them for scaring the fish my way. When I brought it in, one of the girls wouldn't go back in the water, LOL.

15. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I caught a couple of 2 pounders a few weeks ago right in the middle of a Ba$$ tourney weigh in. I was fishing near the dock and about 20 boats come roaring in to the dock and the bank. And they started biting like crazy. I had been afraid the boats would scare em off.

16. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I think that the waves and noise bother the fish and they are looking for a quieter place to rest so they bite my line so i can put them in the live well.

17. suddawg

suddawg New Member

TA2D and I have a favorite spot on the Little Nemaha River where were from. I agree with fish that live in certain bodies of water that have frequent noises grow acustom to them. This spot that we fish at has an active Union Pacific railroad tressle going over it, so about every hour there is tremendous rumbling and noise. And I haven't noticed any difference in bites when that occurs. I don't know maybe TA2D will have different thoughts on this.

SudDawg

18. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    One of my dads old buddies threw a couple of handfuls of clods or rocks in the water before he ever sat down to bait his hook , caught alot of fish .
    Brian

19. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    I use to fish the bank of the Occoquan River just upstream of where it flows into the Potomac. There is a concrete plant upriver from there that has barges loaded with sand coming and going all day. The channel is not very deep in this river and when the barges are loaded they cant be more that 1 or 2 feet of the bottom. However almost everytime a barge came by we would immediatly get a bite. My thoughts are that they stir up all of the food off the bottom and start a small feeding frenzy. Though they would make waves that would almost run us off the bank we would always look forward to them coming by.

20. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i do alot of fishing in the mississippi and i can tell you from experiance that it seems like every time a barge comes by the fish start to bite ive caught some of my largest cats while barges pass by