Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Nocturnal hogs

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  rivercatsc 
#1 ·
I have spent the last to days hunting hogs on my family farm with no luck. I heard alot of them but never saw any. I think they are moving only at night right now. What is the best bait to use for hogs I always use corn on the cob. They ate 600# in one night this week.

#2 ·
I usually bait my traps with soured corn. Sour it and sprinkle some strawberry jello powder in the trap. Hogs will tear it up. Table scraps saved in a 5 gallon bucket work good as well. Hogs will eat rotten meat if you wanna go through the trouble of it. Anytime we have a cow that dies we usually hunt around it for a couple of days and always get a few. I've actually got by a cow carcass and seen the cow moving. As I walked up to the cow 2 hogs about 80lbs came running out from inside the carcass.

In texas we're allowed to use a spotlight at night for hogs. Using a red lense will not scare the hogs off, like a regular spotlight will. I do however call the Texas Parks and Wildlife office and let them know we're gonna be hog hunting on our ranch that night so they know what's going on if they get a phone call from somebody.

Hope you get some pork.

#5 ·
try wrapping some towels soaked in diesel fuel around a few trees once the hogs locate them they try to rub against it to get the oil on that thick hide it works pretty good for me i watched a small herd come in and fight over those towels. but the main thing to do is find your bedding area and your feeding area hunt early morning where you can cut them off from either or same as in the evening you need to find the trails they use believe it or not hogs aren't much different than a deer

#6 ·
Stop throwing that corn away.

Take a set of posthole diggers out with you into the woods and dig a hole as deep as you possibly can. Heck, dig 4 or 5 holes if you want, but space them out 10 yards apart. Now, dump your corn with strawberry jello mix (or soured with beer or buttermilk, or whatever you use) into the holes and lightly cover over the top. The pigs will smell the yummy corn concoction, but they can't dig it all up at once. They have to keep coming back, and coming back, and eventually you'll be there waiting for them. If you just string out corn for them, they'll clean it up lightning fast and be gone..... but if you make it a challenge for them to get the corn, then they'll return several times. It's kinda neat when they find the corn too, because it'll look like a few asteroids hit the earth where you dug those holes. They will mutilate the ground trying to get that corn up.

Man, I love pigs. I don't think there's anything more fun to kill than a nasty ol' hog. Good luck!!!

#7 ·
Yeah I have killed hundreds of hogs over the years and I trap them every year in the spring up until it gets hot I was really looking for some different baiting ideas for my traps. I have pipe feeders that I use at my stands for shelled corn they only dispense a small amout of corn at the time. I only put the cob out to get them really using an area heavy right before I hunt. I plant 10 acres of corn every year for deer and hogs so bait is not a problem. Thomas I will defitnately try the towel trick and I have soured corn before but I will have to try the jello trick. Thanks for the info.

#8 ·
I watched a hunting show the other evening ,cant remember whitch one but they were hunting hogs and they showed an old tire they use to put the corn in ,said it made it harder to get to and they would keep coming back till they got it all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.