No Water

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by grizzly, Aug 10, 2006.

1. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I went to Des Arc Bayou yesterday to put out some lines and try the aluminum foil there. Got there and the farmers have it pumped so low you can't launch. It was just a dirt launch to start with, and now it's a long muddy way to what water is left. They have it so it is just pockets of water in the mud. I haven't found anybody who cares yet, not the gov. or the AGFC. grizzly

2. 4Low

4Low New Member

State:
    Lonoke, AR
    I understand your aggravation with the low water situation because I'm facing the exact same thing myself. It is like that statewide right now, but not solely at the fault of the farmers. The lower AR, White and even Miss are currently low as well. You can walk across the AR river at WDM right now and not get wet above your knee and it's been this way since May...I've got pics to prove it.
    We are in a drought. Expanding cities and farming have lowered the aquifer 20 feet in the last 10 years and the aquifer is where "most" of the cropwater comes from. Our current situation with our fishing waters won't get better 'til it rains a lot. I do have encouraging news though...when the White River project is completed and the farmers can relift last years water from their own reservoirs for crops, it will alleviate some of the water being drained from places we like to fish. We are just in a dry cycle right now and before you know it there will be flooding everywhere and we will have long forgotten about these dry ole' days.

3. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I'm not trying to offend you 4Low but here it is the farmers. Yes the Bayou gets low this time of year and stops running, I understand that. But the farmers don't build reservoirs in the bottoms. They use the Bayou as thier personal reservoir, and pump it completly dry. They have used all of the gov. money available to them building reservoirs on thier higher ground and won't spend thierown money on anything like that. I was building reservoirs in 2002 until I fell in a dirt pan while adjusting the laser. I broke my back in 2 places. I know how this works. The gov. says it will pay 95 cents peryard of dirt neeed, the builder makes a deal to work for $1.10 a yard because the gov. says the farmer has to pay his part. When the job is done the builder excepts the 95 cents from the farmer and the gov. ends up paying it all. I was just workingfor the builder, I was not the builder but knew what was going on. They will not spend thier own money even though that year they got a gov. subsidy of $1.15 for every bushel of rice that went to the grainery on top of thier selling price.

4. 4Low

4Low New Member

State:
    Lonoke, AR
    I'm not offended, don't worry about that! In a nutshell though, we just need rain, and a lot of it. Until then, all the reliftable water will be highly sought after, at the expense of our hobby.
    Speaking of lasers, my mom's husband David Cox, owns Laserplane in Carlisle.

5. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Yeah, I've been there picking up stuff. And welcome to the BoC, these guys are a bundle of info. grizzly

6. r_corter12

r_corter12 New Member

State:
    Carlisle,AR
    hey 4low where do you live i from carlisle.

7. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC 4low. Glad to have you.

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Welcome to the Boc 4low you guys are right about we need rain bad:smile2:

9. robbie

robbie New Member

State:
    bald knob,
    hey guys we got a flood thursday evening. dont know exactly how much but our swimming pool liked about 5" being full now it likes 1" running over.

robbie

10. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Proud to hear somebody got rain, it just barely settled the dust at my house. Guess I need to slip the preacher a $20 and see if that helps.

11. 4Low

4Low New Member

State:
    Lonoke, AR
    I was raised in LR, moved to Lonoke 2 years ago. My mom is married to David Cox from Carlisle and I hunt on the Twist lease on 13N across from the McCallie farm. Most of my catfishing is on the lower AR; we have a fishing lodge by Merrisach Lake, and I do a little fishing on the White and Cache. I've actually been a member of the BOC for about 3years, but I haven't been on the website since the new format was initiated. I don't have internet at home and have very little time for it at work so I haven't been posting. I guess my number of posts and picture didn't transfer over to the new format.