No Wake Buoys On Lake Wylie

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Dec 30, 2009.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Lake Wylie now has "no wake" buoys at all of its bridges on the NC side. These buoys were put in place by the Lake Wylie Marine Commission late this year.

Does anyone know what law / general statute covers these buoys?

I can not find it covered anywhere in the NC General Statutes. There is a law in place for "no wake" buoys on Lake Norman, but I can find any other law that relates to "no wake" buoys in NC.

2. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    i talked to a warden july this year and asked him about what is no wake speed , he told me that every boat is different that what he looks for is the wave to break over if it does he will write you a ticket but he also said that no wake means no wake so by the law itself if you create a wake you are going tooooo fast and can be written up and the last thing he told me " when in doubt slow down it ain't going to cost you as much time as getting written up and paying a fine" :crazy:

3. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...what is no wake speed...."

The slowest speed at which you maintain steerage of the vessel. :wink:

Technically, any floating object that moves in the water creates a wake, so there is really no such thing as "no wake".

My question goes a little deeper than that.

In SC the law is in the general statutes and, and basically the no wake zones are around boat ramps, marina / mooring areas, and swimming areas. I would assume it is somewhere in the NC law, but I am not sure where. Some areas are accepted as no wake zones, like within 50 feet of a pier or the shoreline and these areas are not marked, but other areas that are written into law have to be marked.

There are several places on Lake Wylie that have illegal no wake buoys out. One of the areas is the new marina up the Catawba above I-85 in Mt. Holly. The NCWRC is giving the owners a chance to move those buoys.

I am going to contact the NCWRC officers for this area and get a formal answer.

4. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia
    15A NCAC 10F .0333 MECKLENBURG AND GASTON COUNTIES
    (a) Regulated Areas. This Rule applies to the following waters of Lake Wylie in Mecklenburg and Gaston
    Counties:
    (1) McDowell Park – The waters of the coves adjoining McDowell Park and the Southwest
    Nature Preserve in Mecklenburg County, including the entrances to the coves on either side
    of Copperhead Island;
    (2) Gaston County Wildlife Club Cove – The waters of the cove at the Gaston County Wildlife
    Club on South Point Peninsula in Gaston County;
    (3) Buster Boyd Bridge- The areas 250 feet to the north and 150 feet to the south of the Buster
    Boyd Bridge;
    (4) Highway 27 Bridge – The area beginning 50 yards north of the NC 27 Bridge and extending
    50 yards south of the southernmost of two railroad trestles immediately downstream from the
    NC 27 Bridge;
    (5) Brown's Cove – The area beginning at the most narrow point of the entrance to Brown's
    Cove and extending 250 feet in both directions;
    (6) Paradise Point Cove – The waters of the Paradise Point Cove between Paradise Circle and
    Lakeshore Drive as delineated by appropriate markers;
    (7) Withers Cove - The area 50 feet on either side of Withers Bridge; and
    (8) All other bridges – the areas that are within 50 feet of any bridge in North Carolina that
    crosses the waters of Lake Wylie that is not otherwise specifically mentioned in this
    Paragraph.

(b) Speed Limit Near Ramps. No person shall operate a vessel at greater than no-wake speed within 50 yards
    of any public boat-launching ramp, dock, pier, marina, boat storage structure or boat service area.
    (c) Speed Limit Near All Other Bridges. No person shall operate a vessel at greater than no-wake speed within
    50 feet of any bridge in North Carolina that crosses the waters of Lake Wylie that is not otherwise specifically
    mentioned in Paragraph (a) of this Rule.
    (d) Speed Limit in Marked Swimming or Mooring Areas. No person shall operate a vessel at greater than nowake
    speed within 50 yards of any marked mooring area or marked swimming area.
    (e) Placement and Maintenance of Markers. The Lake Wylie Marine Commission is designated a suitable
    agency for placement and maintenance of markers implementing this Rule.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe the whole purpose of these regulations is to stop or reduce erosion. Bridges have got to the point of costing about half a million dollars (well, depending upon it's size and location - some less, some more). It is not surprising the state would want to control the wash out effect of the large wakes as they crash ashore. I know, DAG nab it, making me slow down again and I have all ready gotten to be so old I'm gonna run out of time as it is. LOL

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    In NC the purpose is safety.
    You take a boat running 70 MPH shooting the gap in the bridge pylons having no clue what is on the other side once he breaks through. Seen some close ones before all the no wake bouys.
    Used to see them at Eaton's Ferry on Gaston right regular.

Good move in my opinion. Some people don't have any sense and the rest of us
    need a little protection from them. A helluva lot more boats on the water now as compared to the 80's.

7. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Around here there for the bass boats flyin 80+mph going under a bridge or railroad bridge had one last year hit a bridge peer doing 80mph they estimated:eek:oooh: He aint around no-more...safety 1st always...plus lots of folks crappie fish under the bridges no need wipin them out:wink:

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Don't forget the jet skis and the problems they cause.
    Can't see the damn things and they sure aren't looking for you.
    Accident waiting to happen around a full speed bridge.

9. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Bad part about it , I was down at Boyd a few months back when this fool in one of those gay looking pink Seadoos saw me beneath and sped by on purpose. Even though those bouys are there , very few seem to care. Maybe the Commission needs substations on heavily used lakes similar to that PD in the cove at McDowell. Or some form of 'prop sticks' with sensors programmed to activate when a boat travels in these zones faster than .5 MPH. That's why alot of us fish at night during spring and summer.
    Damn idiots ruin it for everyone else!!

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Get the vessel numbers and call em in.

11. Mildog

Mildog Member

State:
    Virginia
    Exactly. I have the Game Warden's number on speed dial on my cell. I called so many times this year, they knew me by name...:confused2:

12. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Quote by Dieter: The slowest speed at which you maintain steerage of the vessel.

On the Santee, i have seen bass boats come down that canal and never slow down when they get to the no wake before the bridge. Game Wardens usually just sit at Canal Lakes and wait on them, blow a whistle and motion for them to come over. I have never seen but 1 boat not stop and he was going so fast they didn't even bother to go after him. Probably had some on at the end of the canal waiting:smile2:

It would be good if everyone that drives a boat go through a boaters "Rules of the Road" training. I know like everything else you will have some that will not obey the laws but it would still be good if you use a horn signal that the boat that you were aproaching would know what blame side you intend to pass on. Guides have to take these courses but what good is it if they are the only ones that understand the rules?? Just a thought

13. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Good job MilDog!! That is the info that was e-mailed to me today by the Lake Wylie Marine Commission.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009