No Velvet!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by tkoehler, Mar 27, 2008.

1. tkoehler

tkoehler New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I am a truck driver from nebraska. Monday evening near Avoca IA and seen give or take a 14" fork buck with a shiny set of antlers. Heck bucks dont even start getting racks, let alone without velvet. any thoughts ?

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like he has not shed. I have heard of this before. Its like teeth, they sometimes don't fall out until the new ones come in.

3. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I would say he hasn't dropped last years yet, so many factors play in role when they drop there old racks. nutrition, minerals, pressure, stress, and probably the main one testosterone. I have read that buck start loosing there racks from Feb. to as late as the end of April or first of May and that one buck will probably run a 6 year cycle of around the same time each year with loosing each within an 48 hour period. Who knows for sure.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    all of the bucks i have seen lately were mulies, and most of them had both or at least one antler.

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    That was cool thanks for sharing that with us

6. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    Some deer dont shed antlers but just keep growing and growing. Some of the mule deer i have seen have had velvet all year long. Infact if you go to muliecrazy.com it talks a little about it. Hope this helps a little. Talk to yall later.:cool2:

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I know a woman who has a buck in captivity. A dawg ran it off a bluff and broke it's leg. When the vet came and splinted it's leg, they also had it cut (castrated) and according to her, it no longer sheds it's horns. I'm no wildlife biologist and can't confirm this, but i know in the wild testosterone plays an important role.

8. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    There are many factors that play into the shedding of the antlers, and the production of velvet, a living tissue. I had to hunt this up because I had read this study a while back but the shedding of antlers is associated with not only protein intake, ( which influences the production of the velvet as well) but also with other environmental and biological factors. One of the most surprising to me was day length...then I thought WHY NOT??? Here is what I found..., it took me a while to hunt it back up... A kid in my class did a report on it in Ecology and I was taken back at the complexity of the event.

that is not my own research and take no credit for it, just informational and of interest to deer hunters and biologists alike....