The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Was going to order a Ugly Stick with a Amazon gift card but there out of stock not knowing if they will ever be stocked again. Looked else where and out of stock every where I checked
Does a guy wait to see or try to find a comparable fish pole if there is one in that price range

Administrator
Of course the would have to depend. If you have other rods that will suffice till the Uglies get replenished then I would wait. If you don't then you should look around for something else. But just know there are a lot of things in short supply right now. And you will have to decide what else will handle the job you have planned for them.

Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
I bought an 8' Ugly Stik Cat rod about 2 weeks ago at Wally World. It was a spinning rod and they had several. I wasn't looking for a casting rod so I don't know if they had them at that time. I guess manufacturing and supply lines are slowed everywhere these days.

Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
Just out of curiosity I searched most of the sites I browse for tackle and sure enough, almost everyone is out of stock on the UGLY STIK Catfish rod.
Midway still has them but right now they say only 4 in stock.

Hope this is helpful.

Registered
Steven from Georgia
8' casting rod
It took awhile. But i just kept checking every day. Eventually i found some in stock and ordered a couple. Seems they leave the shelf pretty fast when people do get them.

Spinning rods no problem, in stock at walmart.

As far as a substitute. Thats a little complicated. The problem is the variance between rod manufactures. You can get a american spirit nite stick for about the same money. Even though its listed as a medium heavy. It has a stiffer action than the ugly stick.

If you cant wait you will just have to do some research and read reviews on some other ones.

Registered
I just received the ones I ordered months ago. My guess is the shipment finally got here and they filled ordered and are out yet again waiting on more. Many companies are so far behind that it will take years to catch up. this is bad for us needing/wanting product but it is good that more people are enjoying fishing.

Registered
Was going to order a Ugly Stick with a Amazon gift card but there out of stock not knowing if they will ever be stocked again. Looked else where and out of stock every where I checked
Does a guy wait to see or try to find a comparable fish pole if there is one in that price range

Registered
I had the same issue in late July. I needed 7 new rods and all the Ugly Stick casting catfish rods were nowhere to be found. I eventually found places that will email you once they are back in stock and bought them as they became available. I got my first boat this summer and the lack of supplies really hampered me from being able to go fishing. Finally by mid August I got everything I needed but I still notice there are a lot of things unavailable.

Registered
OkC Oklahoma
I live in OkC and have been to Academy Sporting Goods several times this Summer.
They have always had plenty Ugly Sticks in stock. If you have academy stores in your area, you might check there. I have also seen several at 3 or 4 Walmart stores here.

Registered
I work for UPS and heard that since COVID. Really the only safe thing to do was fishing. Everyone everywhere was buying fishing supplies just to be able to get out of the house. So their is a lot of fishing gear you won鈥檛 be able to find as easily as before. In time it will get back to normal. I鈥檓 having the same problem with some fishing gear I need. Good Luck!

Registered
Winston, Indiana
OP,
You don't say which model of Ugly Stik you were looking for but if you can find these,
CAL 1100.jpeg

they are a pretty decent all-around cat rod unless you specifically target BIG fish in big current. That said, I have landed a couple of 40+ pounders on them.

...W

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your responses. Because I had a amazon gift card and it was amazon days I went ahead with a 7鈥6鈥 Fire Stick Catfish I have heard of them and it did have good reviews. I鈥檒l let you all know how it works, I still will get a ugly stick when there back in stock or if I happen to run across one.
Thanks Again

Registered
Steve from Mississippi
You should like that Firestick. I have two and have been very pleased with them.

Registered
I saw one 8' two piece spinning and one 8' two piece casting Ugly Stik Catfish rods at Walmart today in Oak Ridge, TN. They had several Shakespeare $19.84 7' Tiger spinning combos.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
The fire stick showed up today. Nice looking rod. I鈥榤 either going to put a Penn 112 3/0 Senator that I won the bid on on eBay It鈥檚 supposed to show Friday or a Penn Delmar or maybe a Penn 85 witch ever works best. I鈥檒l cast it the back yard and report on it after that.
Thanks for all of the responses

1 - 18 of 18 Posts