No triggers on long casting rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by mudfarmer, Jun 14, 2007.

1. mudfarmer

mudfarmer New Member

State:
    Texoma
    i been eyeballin big water rods online for a couple abu 6500's and it seems they don't come with trigger handles much over 8'. is there a logical reason for this? without the trigger what's the difference from a spinning rod?

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The eyes make the difference, not the trigger.

3. mudfarmer

mudfarmer New Member

State:
    Texoma
    yes i guess the eyes would be bigger on the spinning rods, just wondering what's the difference in the handles if any. i wish i could find some 12' casting/surf rods with trigger grips < $50.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I think the logic is that if its over 8' long, your gonna need two hands to throw the thing. If you got two hands on the pole, there should be no need for the trigger grip.

5. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I gotta have my triggers, regardless of how long/short the rod is....I won't buy a rod w/out a trgger.....I favor long rods, but haven't got one in my arsenal w/out a trigger on a casting rod.....I just like the grip of a trigger...Dwight

6. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
  7. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I just wanted to say that I have ordered from this company (Castaway Lakes). I bought 2 of the 12ft. Daiwa Beefstick casting rods (they match up nice with a Garcia 7000 reel). I had a problem with my order due to UPS, they lost it. Castaway Lakes sent out two more rods immediately. Give them a try.

8. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Weezy,

Have you or anyone else tried these triggers....They appear like a great idea, but looks uncomfortable....I might have to order one and see what's up with it....Dwight

9. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    im just the oppisite way, i hate triggers. Mainly because i like rods with real long grips on front and back, like most surf rods, and i hold the rod by the front grip and put the butt of the rod on my hip to reel in fish. the only time i use the rear grip is when i cast. so for me a trigger is pointless and its got in the way when i need to adjust something on the reel before.

10. mudfarmer

mudfarmer New Member

State:
    Texoma
    ended up getting cabelas 9' king kat. only 24.94 delivered plus they're throwin in a free hat. the other one will be a new 8'6" ugly stik salmon/steelhead rod i picked up on ebay around 42$ delivered. both have triggers.

11. fscii

fscii New Member

State:
    MD
    Triggers are mainly for light rods - in saltwater known as 'popping' rods for working pencil and other poppers. The super long surf rods, the trigger doesn't do much at all.

Without the trigger, the difference in casting and spinning rods is still very easy to see. Spinning rods have much larger guides, esp closer to the reel. This is because of the way the line comes off of the reel. Eye placement should be done directly according to the spine (stiffest section) of the rod blank.

Try putting a spinning reel on a casting rod. Your casting distance will be cut down dramatically because as the line spins off the reel, it'll generate a lot of friction on that first eye/guide. That's why spinning rods have such large eyes towards the reel.

In casting super long rods, I generally hold the rod/reel as normal w/thumb on the spool, with the other hand at the very butt of the rod which creates a fulcrum over my reel hand to really whip the rod. Most people cast just flicking their casting hand. That's great for short casts and light tackle, it won't get you anywhere casting an 8 oz sinker with 6-8oz of bait!

In working the rod (after the cast) I have one hand on the rod above the reel, and one turning the reel handle. Thus with super long rods the trigger is functionally useless.