no swivel fishing

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Jan 19, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Do some of you out there not fish with swivels

ive been doing research on the web and some people thing a swivel is how to attach the mainline to leader line but dont like cause that can grab on to reeds

some say it weekends ur rig

some say that the barrell swivels dont turn freely as you think

i dont use swivels for bass fishing and have no problem wits line twists

WHAT R SOME OF YOUR OPINIONS

2. IowanInTexas

IowanInTexas New Member

State:
    Texas now
    I use them with bass spinner baits and on my troutlines.

3. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    a cat will actually turn over in circles multiple times whereas i don't think a bass does this the same way .
    a cat reacts like a alligator or crock and goes into the death role:tounge_out:.
    i think the swivel can play a significant part in keeping a large fish by more than you might think .

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I'm probably in the minority, but I don't think a swivel is really necessary. Sure, a blue cat will sometimes spin as he is reeled in, but is it enough spins to cause a problem? I don't think so, and I used to fish without a swivel all the time and never experienced a problem. I'm also skeptical that it will actually turn freely under pressure when landing a fish.

That said, I do use a swivel most of the time now. Why? It acts as a connection point that allows me to use a different leader material from my main line. It also makes a good sinker stop. And while I don't believe it does a lot to prevent line twist, I do think it's better than nothing.

5. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I don't use swivels, I use the same rig as catfishscotty does.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Like the above post I just use them as something to attach a leader, and a sinker stop, not for there ability to prevent line twist...

7. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I usually fish a drop rig and use regular swivel,24" leader about 1 size larger than my line and a 16" sinker leader smaller than my line with both leaders tied to bottom of swivel.
    Jake

8. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I'll have to try that dropper loop,Thanks bro:big_smile:

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    wouldnt be without them when the big blues roll hold on !!!!!!!

10. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27: with post #3 of this Thread!

That is the very reason that I use a swivel when Catfish (the Roll-over factor).
    :wink:

When B@$$ fishing, I don't use them at all because it can change the action of your lure.
    (Think about it :0a14:)

11. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I dont use swivels when bass fishing i think it changes the look of what the bait should look like. also it can change the action of the bait.

12. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use them as a sliding sinker stop. I'd like to think that it allows the fish to pick up the bait and take it before the hook set but with heavy current and a tight line he most likely picks it up off the bottom anyway.

13. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    ive found that when i fish with the Carolina rig that after the bait and weight hit the water the weight will slide down the mainline

i know this cause i can reel in 6-15feet before i pickup the weight (sensitive poles)

the weight sinks faster than the bait

14. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Now when you are Carolina Riging, you do use a Swivel. (at lease I always do).:0a26:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"