NO Structure, where are the Bass at?

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by impak209, Oct 7, 2007.

1. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    The reservoir near my house has bass I've caught 2 mostly by accident, the problem I am faced with is there is no structure and little to no vegitation its a large rectangle wich is about 14ft deep very quickly. just by eyeballing an area as such where would I want to start looking? and what would be the best methods as oppossed to other areas I fish that have variable depths vegitation and structure?

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Fish the corners. That's about the only irregularity in the body of water so I'd start there and other than that try to parallel the shore with your casts and just try a bunch of different lures. Eventually one lure and one spot will show itself as better than the others.

3. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    Thanx tommorow I plan on giving it a try, with bass is there a time the bite winds down?

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    It's going to probably going to slow down here in about a month up there. When it gets really cold, they don't feed as often so the fishing can slow down. If ya get a few sunny warm days though give it a try.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I have yet to see a bottom with absolutely no structure, but it can be very small and difficult to find. One lake we used to fish had a 9' flat bottom, except for one small point that was easy to find, and the remains of an old ditch (or something) that wasn't more than a foot deep anywhere along it; but the fish related to it. Also, there was a place where, during very high water, there was a spilloff to a nearby creek. Relating to this area didn't surprise me when there was water flow there, but the fish seemed to relate to it all the time, even during low water.

6. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    When I saw this post yesterday it got me thinking. What if there is no structure? I referred back to one of my fishing books (Fishing Fundamentals by In-Fisherman) and basically it said that there is almost always structure.

Structure is "anything different from the normal". So it can be man-made features, rocks, weeds, stumps, trees, docks, etc...

But it can also be spots where the current shifts direction, changes in bottom of the water make up (muddy turns to gravel), Differences in water clarity (murky to clear), or even where shadows fall of the water (light to dark).

From what the book says; fish gravitate towards some type of structure in order to orient themselves to the water.

In the event there are no physical structures, try looking for the differences...

Hope this helps.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Incidentally, if it's legal, that would be a great lake to install some fish attractors (structure). Old Christmas trees are often used, but if you put some rocks/gravel into an old tire (without rim) then bore a hole in the opposite side (to let the air escape) you can sink them so that they are standing up---they make excellent fish attractors. If you are careful to put them in spots where you can locate them from readily identifiable spots on the bank, and don't use any kind of floating marker, you can have your own private honeyhole.

8. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    Thanks for all the info everyone, I will be more observant of the awter, and check my local regs.:big_smile:

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yea I'm willing to say there is something under there, just hard to locate. Most ideas I have were said already. I look at the shore its self, like areas where the water foods in after hard rains, where the shore holds a lot of trees, chances are there is still some old dead one's down there deep. Maybe not where your at but sometimes lakes also have a channel that runs around it also.

10. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Fish the corners and try a Texas rigged worm or a 3-4 in tube. Try fan casting. All fishing holes are different. If there is no visible structure that doesn't mean there is none under water. Like all good bass fisherman do, experiment. I have caught my biggest bass during the middle of the day.

11. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    As was mentioned earlier, I'd probably get one of those Bill Dance things or just make you one out of PVC and throw it out there. It'll be sure to attract some fish. I did it in my pond back home when I was little and it worked like a charm.

12. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    If there are any trees around the water toss a worm by them. I would fish the edge water by the bank with a small spinner and try the drop off with a tube or jig.

13. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I start any lake or pond I fish the same way. Fish the side that #1 the wind is blowing into and #2 the side the sun is shining on. In the cooler months I find fish sunning next to the bank the more muddy the water the shallower they will get. I lived in Iowa for 6 years and fished super clear water ponds and small lakes that the water was stained. The sun shines on the water and the wind will blow the warm water up on a shore. The fish and the bait will stack on that bank! When the sun is low in the sky in the fall and the spring the fish will lay on rip rap on the north bank. They will lay on the rocks that the sun shines on. After ice out it was a fishing frenzy! You get wind and sun shine on the water and the fish will be there. In the fall fish the wind! Jig and pig, pumpkin green in clear water and black and blue in stained. If the fish are not hit on a whole lot a spinner bait will tear them up on a wind blown bank. If no wind fish the sun and use the jig on clear line as light as you dare fish a jig, 15 lb test for me.
    You might want to tie on a 1oz carolina rig and check for tree tops off the bank. If there is a local bass club they will throw all the loose christmas trees in the lake if they can get a chance too. They did in Iowa. In the summer these are the places to catch the bass. Plus most bass fisherman beat the bank and if you get trees in 10 to 15 foot of water the bass will stack up on them.
    I'm back in Texas and have been for 8 years. I liked fishing up north too! I caught some really nice bass up there. With some time you will get them. Good luck!

14. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    The Ole Texas Rigged Plastic worm would be my choice. You can thoroughly search, and if you reel it very slowly, you can get a feel for the bottom!