No snagging at chain of rocks

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by poopdeck [patrick], Feb 5, 2008.

1. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I called horse shoe lake and talked to a lady game warden and she informed me that there will be no snagging at chain of rocks. She said the rule was in effect last year but it was not enforced but will be inforced this year.

Heres the number if you want to ask about that or other fishing topics.

1-618-931-0270

2. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Thanks for the info and looking into that.

3. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Man that stinks...:sad2:

That's about the only place I heard of people catching spoonbill at too on the Mississippi from the bank.

4. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    That will probably end snagging for me. It is too hard to get a spot at alton as it is. I figured it was coming the army engineers have engineered us little by little out of there. For me it started with dove hunting they closed portions of the island. Now they are gonna hit the fishing. can you fish down there at all or has just the snagging been removed? I heard of an ampitheatre being built down there maybe they are trying to cut it off little by little.

5. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    I asked her if we could still fish and she said yes, just no snagging.

6. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I don't get why they would allow regular fishing, but not snagging? Since when do all the people who stir up crap snag?

7. medic442

medic442 New Member

State:
    lonedell mo
    wooooooooooooooowwwww that sucks!!!!! i use to go ever there since 1984!!!! man i am going hate to see that go!!!!!!:sad2:

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Well, why would be a great question thats for sure. Says in the new 2008 regs that it is NOT ALLOWED at the Chain of Rocks low water dam at Choutea Island-Madison County, also known as Dam 27 at the Chain of Rocks-Madison County. Why, It doesn't say that :wink:. Guess they don't have to explain it to the Sportsman that pays the bills............ (info is on page 5 in the new reg booklet.

9. bookr1

bookr1 New Member

State:
    MO
    I know a lot of people that will be upset over this. There will be alot more problems at Alton now.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Whats the possiblility the game/fish personnel have witnessed a bunch of illegal snagging, or killing of spoonbills, and one way to control it is to eliminate it. The Game and Fish Department in Oklahoma is for the sportsment, and have done quite a lot to promote fishing and hunting within our state. Why not assume your department is trying to do the same. There are other places to snag. Find them.

11. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    It's no different than snagging at Alton so I don't get there reasoning. They only reasons that I heard for not allowing snagging is becuase there are people who like to stir up trouble down in that area alot, which I don't know see why that has anything to do with the difference between snagging and regular fishing. I really doubt that they are putting to big of a hurting to the spoonbill down there because the few that I managed to catch were tiny and I never see another one hauled out of there. All anybody ever catches are those crazy asian carp anyhow.

I've got plenty of other places to snag at here in MO where I can lay money on hitting a 50+ pound spooner every trip, but Chain of Rocks was fun with all of those carp around.

All well, I guess life goes on.

12. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    I hope they don't stop snagging at Carlyle Dam.

13. bookr1

bookr1 New Member

State:
    MO

I thought snagging was not allowed at Carlyle.

14. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    THERES NO SNAGGING IN INDIANA NEW LAW THIS YEAR

15. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    Its not, unless they changed the rules

16. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    I would think that the reason they stopped snagging is to protect the spoonbill. These fish do not produce every year. The river levels have to be right at the right time of the season and the tempture has to be right too. I believe I read that they only repoduce every seven years or was it every three years ha ha Anyway With the poaching and over fishing their numbers may be getting too low. I am only speculating as I really do not know. Below is a link to a video about them and the blonde is nice to look at:big_smile:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/784443/rare_spoonbill_catfish/

17. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Well if they are wanting to protect the spoonbill, then I can understand that completely. I don't guess they stock the Mississippi like they do the Osage river and Tablerock here in Missouri.

I guess Alton will still be available to snag all the carp you want. Hopefully there's not a bunch of troublemakers up there. My snagging rod would do some damage I would guess if I had to use it to defend myself.:roll_eyes:

18. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    I called up horseshoe lake where they have a marine biologist and this is what he told me. He said it is to protect the pallin sturgeon