No snag sinker?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Flat Top, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Flat Top

Flat Top Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    I have watched catters in boats on Y-tube "drift" bait and it amazed me how little they snag the sinkers....so, I started investigating the types of sinkers they use (thought something like that may work for bank fishing).

Over the past few months I tried the paracord filled with lead thing, and I was still snagging from time to time...but better than my no rolls, etc. So, I started playing around...started with BIG plastic straws (to weak for hard casting)....and ended up with these.

I have tried them at some of the best "snag spots" I fish, and surprisingly I have not had a snag once!!! I had one hang up just a bit but slight pressure broke it free....and saved the paper clip and weight. I use the paper clips as a release device just in case I do get hung up but havent had to break off yet (knock on wood). I am just going to keep using these to see where it goes, but, I think them being rigid and fairly long is the key to their success. Just made them from some old PVC,and lead shot I had laying around, etc, so they are rough looking, but cheap......also, they do not seem to hinder casting distance in any way.

I use these with a dropper loop rig.

Attached Files:

rba, BCT, prlwng and 4 others like this.
  2. Hurst11

Hurst11 Well-Known Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    Nathan Hurst
    Good idea. They do look rough but who cares. Cheap,I like cheap and even more if it works and it does look like they should work very good. If ya do lose one no biggie

Flat Top likes this.

3. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    Larry Muse fabricated a similar style sinker, all kinds of U-tube info on it. The only reason I brought that up is he left enough air space in his to make it float on one end the theory being it would already be heading up and over a snag, are yours completely full of shot? I am liking the looks what size PVC did you use?

Flat Top likes this.
  4. Flat Top

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    Each tube has about an inch or so of air space, and I used 1/2" (I.D.) PVC. Because of the inconsistency of heating of the tube ends to melt the PVC together, and get uniform results, I left the space when I cut them...I will try one in a bucket of water to see if it stands up...that is a great idea!

5. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    Got everything I need, going to make a few, thanks for the idea.

Flat Top likes this.
  6. Flat Top

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    Great! Keep us posted....and, if you have any suggestions to make them better share it here....there is always room for improvement!

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I made a bunch of these over 20 years ago, really simple. I'm still using them and I don't recall ever losing one in a snag.
    1 Three simple components.jpg
    2 Lead in one end.JPG 3 Sinker slide in other end.jpg.JPG
    Soft plastic tube
    Lead rod
    Sinker slide
    Soften the tube in hot water and slide the lead in
    Hot needle to make a hole in the other end for sinker slide.
    The lead rod comes from Water Gremlin.

...W

Flat Top and eastforker like this.
  8. beshears

beshears Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    When I tear up a castnet I cut the weights off and put them on a piece of trotline rope. Easy to adjust weight. not as good as a slick side weight but sadly i have a lot of the weights.

SCUBACATFISHMAN and Flat Top like this.
  9. Thunder head

Thunder head Well-Known Member

State:
    Georgia
    Name:
    Steven
    Winston,
    I don't see the lead rod on water gremlins web site. Am I missing it?

Flat Top likes this.
  10. Flat Top

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    They have it on Amazon, Ebay, etc.

11. mooseman75

mooseman75 Well-Known Member

State:
    Utah
    Name:
    Justin
    George I like your pvc sinkers that is very cool

Bobp and Flat Top like this.
  12. Flat Top

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    I used them again today fishing the Missouri River. I had a few hang ups, but, they released with little pressure and I did not lose the sinkers or any terminal tackle! So far, so good!

One thing I did notice was that the strong current tended to "carry" the larger PVC sinkers much more than my no rolls of the same weight (3 oz), so I moved up to 4 oz PVC and that settled them down a bit.

The river was up and the current was running fast so drifting sinkers regardless of what kind they are is to be expected....solution: add more weight. I am going to make a few more and up the weights to 6 and 8 oz, and that should handle anything the rivers have to offer.

Bobp likes this.
  13. SCUBACATFISHMAN

SCUBACATFISHMAN Active Member

State:
    Santee, SC
    Name:
    Dan Brothers
    seems like that would work good for bottom bouncing fishing.

Flat Top likes this.
  14. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    Are you going to go longer with 1/2 or bump up to 3/4 ID.?

15. Flat Top

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    All I have is the 1/2" PVC.....and, it seems like the longer they are the better they work. I am thinking (thats scary) that making them a larger I.D. may increase the chance of them hanging up?

16. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    Ok, I guess you can't get too long unless it is longer than the rod you are casting it with LOL. The Larry Muse copied Dragging Tails I am using are 32'' of 1/2 inch tubing and 4oz. of #6 shot.

Flat Top likes this.
  17. Flat Top

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    First off per an earlier post on "floating" the line end of the sinker by incorporating air space...mine do not float and really didnt think that they would...checked that at the river yesterday.

The length of my sinkers so far are 8" = 5oz, 7" = 4oz, and 6" = 3oz (those are the precut lengths of PVC before sealing the ends). I can understand why the Muse weights float at the nose end being 32" long......it would require about that much air space to float the nose....and for dragging sinkers the longer the better as I see it!

I am a bank fisherman so casting performance is necessary....and these sinkers do fly very well. I can only imagine trying to cast a 32 inch sinker!!! LOL!!!

So far all of these sinkers are easy to cast, but, as I go up in weight/length (to 8 oz) that will be determined by actual casting. I will make a few up and give them a try this week.

Again, if anyone has opinions or suggestions I am all ears!

18. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Name:
    Jay
    I am of the opinion you have came up with an economical, functional and easy to build sinker that suits your needs well. Thanks for sharing.

Bobp likes this.
  19. Flat Top

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    Thanks for your input!

20. Herbhome

Herbhome Well-Known Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Name:
    Neill
    George,
    What kind of shot are you using? Do you reload shotshells?

Flat Top likes this.