No snag or walking sinker ?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by JimmyJonny, Mar 10, 2008.

1. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I would like to get some opinions on what type of Do-it mold to get. I like to use slinky weights but to price of lead shot is crazy atm, about $50 for 10lb. I already have lead melted and cleaned just waiting to be used up.

I'm gonna be drifting in slight current and lots of snags. I definitely don't want the no roll sinkers but I was looking at the " walking sinker" mold or the "no-snag mold". I'm leaning toward the walking sinker but only because I've never used a no-snag sinker, I worry they are to flat.

My target weight is 1.5 oz

What would you guy's do ?

Thanks,
    -Jim-

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jim there has been several post on making your own slinky weights. Check the boc library. Some have used small egg sinkers in a cord to accomplish this.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Thanks Mickey,

I will looks again but I haven't been able to find cord big enough to work with 1/4 egg sinkers. I've looked at shoe laces, parachute cord, basketball nets, etc but none of them actually worked. I'm to the point where I'm done wasting money on things that don't work, LOL. If I could solve the cord problem then I would rather use the egg sinker slinkys, in fact that's what I'm using atm, 6 of the 1/4 oz. I just cant get the material I use to use anymore.

If some one knows a brand and item number that they use that works for sure, I would buy the egg sinker mold and go that route.

It's possible I over looked something in the library also.

-Jim-

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I have the DoIt pencil sinker mold...they don't hang up too much.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Jim, this is how I make mine. You can adjust to the total weight you prefer. I use 2 oz. Snake weights that I make using 1/4 oz egg sinkers a swivel and 15 lb. Line. The line on your weight needs to be light enough that it will break relatively easy if it hangs. To make the weights tie a log length of line to your swivel then slide on 8 1/4 oz. Egg sinkers. On the last sinker wrap the line through and around the last sinker pulling the sinkers tight together. Wrap 5 or 6 times then crimp the last sinker down on the line with a pair of pliers.

6. HOLD-ACCOUNT

HOLD-ACCOUNT New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Please check out the Team Catfish SOOTH OPERATOR snagless sinker.

We have them in 1 oz, 1.5 oz, and 2 oz.

We have the ultimate slide on top our sinkers. It will never damage your line by sliding up and down. The slide is so slick that the cats never feel a thing when they pull out the line.

We are sponsors of this website.

7. RAPTOR

RAPTOR New Member

State:
    IOWA
    I just use nylon trot line cord tie a knot in the end of the cord slide on what ever you want for wgt with egg sinkers and the tie off your swivel if you have your own lead and a do it mold you can do this at a affordable price

8. captinparker

captinparker New Member

State:
    SC
    Parachute cord,buckshot cut ends use 8-13 shot depending on how heavy you want it. melt end,crimp with plyers

9. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Jeff told You Right Folks !!! I Purchased some of those Bad Boys at the sports show in Desmoins,Iowa (Spelling Just Stupid I Guess) and There are The BOMB,I Only bought 2 packages but wish I had bought More. I'll have to Order More on line. Hobie Knows a GOOD product when He sees it(Thats Me) LOL. Order some and You won't be Sorry. J.D.

10. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    You can make a walking sinker by just drilling a hole in a wheel weight.
    Break off the steel clasp and file it smooth.
    You guys that use sacrificial sinkers can do the same.

best of luck
    just

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    LOL...never saw so many answers to a question that wasn't asked. LOL. Not trying to be nasty guys... really. LOL

12. tn_5568

tn_5568 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Jimmyjohhny did say "what would would you guys do". Seems like a question to me

13. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Heavy duty heat shrink tubing will hold any size split shot you want and makes great slinky type sinkers..We have some Big sizes that are very heavy duty..Ii's not that thin wall junk you can buy a lowes and hardware stores. but we have a bunch of scraps about 6" long, I'd be happy to mail you some, no charge

14. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    You could look at the big wide shoe laces thy would go over the 1/4 sinkers. I always use egg sinkers for every thing. But mine are 3or 4oz but I have them down to 1/8 for the bait poles. I have seen some home made that I found on the bank that were just mono with a loop on one end a few little eggs and a split shot to hold them on the line. I do not think a cover over them is a big deal they will still do the same job. So I would go the no snag. Fishing should be fun not a lot work.

15. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Cheap N Disgusting makes Sleazy weights. He could tell ya how its done. Buy a few feet of nylon core rope, pull the middle out of it. Fill it with 1/8 or 1/4 oz egg sinkers buckshot, BB's or whatever, and follow his directions. The slinky wts are good also, made with egg sinkers. Pencil weights take stuff down fast, and work well.