No Small Catfish!!!!!??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bnewsom71, Sep 16, 2008.

1. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    This is something that I have never been able to figure out, so let me see if I can be enlightened. (Sorry if this is a little long-winded)

History first:

My Grandparents property has a drainage ditch bordering it. My entire family and I have fished it for 30 plus years. It is an excellant place to catch a lot of nice healthy fish (catfish, crappie, bass, bluegill, etc...) You can catch all sizes of them also. But I do not ever remember catching a small catfish in it. EVER! If I had to guess the average channel cat caught, it would easily be 5+ lbs, the largest caught that I know of is 18 lbs. In a way, I guess that is good, but it concerns me that they are not reproducing. But, you would think that they are if there is a healthy population of the larger ones in it. About the ditch - it is not connected in any way to any other body of water, the depth is controlled by a large pumping station that does create current when pumping. But it is not consistant by any means. It can go for days without current if there is no rain to speak of. This ditch is about 20 miles long if stretched out straight and has lots of different types of structure such as a good channel, lillypads, cattails, sandbars, flats, debris snags and lots of depth changes.

Questions:
    Would anyone have any ideas as to why there isn't any fiddlers being caught?
    Do ya think the DNR would be interested in stocking something like that?
    If they are reproducing, how in the world could we go that long and not catch any of the little guys?
    My assumption is that it gets naturally stocked by the river when it floods, but if that is the case, why isn't there any flatheads and sheepshead (river perch) in it like the river?
    :confused2::confused2:

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    its probally a sewer ditch and they are being fertilized alot i used to live by one and always caught good fish and could grow water mellons on the bank good also

3. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    I know fer sure its not a sewer ditch, nothing is allowed to drain in the ditch except for natural rain runoff from the fields. It is quite a clean water ditch until it rains.

4. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Thought I would add this as an example of the fish size avg., went out there last saturday night and fished all night, ended up with 10 fish, the smallest was 4 lbs and the biggest was 12.

5. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    the depth is controlled by a large pumping station that does create current when pumping. is this pumping station a sewer treatment plant or run off from feilds with a lot of fertilizer put out by the farmers to grow there crop larger maybe

6. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Yes, that is correct. I just don't get why I can't catch the smaller channels. I really hate to think that is not a self sustained resource when everything else is. And the current in the ditch isn't or doesn't seem to be (to me)consistant enough to allow the traditional channel spawn.

7. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    first thought is what other people have been hinting at...

maybe a 5# fish IS a young fish- in the incredible nutrient rich waters of your ditch, cats are top dogs er, cats- that quickly grow to size...

Now why Don't you catch the little guys (beside perhaps their not many of them)... matter this is a matter of technique and habitat? If there are
    Alot of Big catfish around the little guys might be scared towards the weeds?

I didn't current was a prerequisite for fiddlers spawning. spawning sites are, and rocks are ideal, but brush will do...

At any rate- I'm so jealous! my waters are NOT fertile, they are cold and cats are SPARSE! I'm always amazed on how in some waters zillions of 5-10# cats are no big challenge and in others a 5# cat is nearly a trophy.

8. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yeah,i would say they are reproducing,just the little cats are all hiding as best as possible,trying not to get ate,lol