No Skips and no Shad...What to use?????

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by patrickgd, Feb 15, 2009.

1. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I can't catch any skipjacks or shad and was wondering what would be a good alternative for bait on the river during this late winter period. I have tried using cut Bluegill and get skunked everytime. I'm considering worms or hotdogs :smile2:. Any ideas?

2. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Unpeeled garlic salted shrimp. Be sure to fish smaller baits during winter and slow speeds down if drifting.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I use Danny Kings when out of other bait

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I always have good luck on sunfish, bluegill and jumbo shiners, those are our 3 main baits here in west central Indiana on the Wabash River.

5. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I've been using cut Bluegill and been getting skunked everytime. I like the unpeeled shrimp idea and have been considering treating Chicken gizzards with red Kool aid, vegetable oil and garlic.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Cured chicken liver, bacon, salt pork, and flavored chitlings have all worked well for me at times, usually when I couldn't get shad or skipjack, but occasionally outproducing them even when I had them.

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    The Fish-On Bait Company who are one of our sponsors here on the board sell prepacked herrings for bait.
    Squid works for blues as does mackerel. There are also Black Salties...W

8. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    get you some blue gills or suckers, or carp

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I second this idea. Works.:0a27::0a27:

10. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I'm curious to know if the cured Livers are tough. I typically use a 12 ft. Surf Rod so I can really sling a bait out there.

I think the Shrimp with Shell-on might hold. I know bacon and gizzards will stay hooked good.

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    If you can't catch skips or shad this time of year then go to the store and buy some skin on chicken breasts. Makes some pretty good cut bait for winter time fishing, the fresher and bloodier the better. When the water temp's hit 70 and above team catfish's secret 7 is hard to beat for blues and channel cats.

12. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    carp or gar are a very oil based meat have caught cats on both and also spoonbill if they are in your area and legal to use ..

13. TrophyHunt

TrophyHunt New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Learn better ways to catch skipjack. I know it might be a pain but if you learn how to catch skipjack all year. You will have rewarded yourself for the future.

14. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    yea cured liver is tough enough to sling if made right. first get you some uniodized salt and garlic powder. take your chicken livers and lay them out on some aluminum foil in the sun. then cover them good with the salt and garlic powder. let em sit for 3-5hrs I usually let mine sit for 5 or more . then flip over and repeat the samething. and they will be a lot tougher. make sure you use uniodized salt cause cats don't like the iodine. so I hope this helps. and usin smaller baits durin colder months is a big help. good luck!

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    How long you cure the livers depends a lot on the weather! While I've often cured livers during the hot summer by leaving them out 3-5 hours on each side, in the cool spring, I've had to leave them out 8-10 hours on each side. Just be sure to protect them from the dew and roving animals. Don't worry if flies blow them when you first lay them out, just brush the clumps of eggs off; leaving some won't hurt a thing. You can cure the livers till they are about the consistancy of well-done steak, or continuing them till they are hard enough that they make a noise when you tap them on the side of the boat; the fish don't care which way, so it's a personal preference. You won't need to freeze them; stored in the fridge, they'll keep for a year or two.

16. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Thanks to all who have posted their baits. I'm definitely going to give these a try. I know I should continue to work on catching the skips. I'ts hard to locate them on the MS. especially this time of year and compounded 10 fold when your stuck on the bank, hell places to even get to the bank itself are rare around here. Even the veterans around these parts are making a 150+ mile trip to the cumberland steam plant. anyway thanks again for the insight.

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you do decide to go to Pickwick for skipjack, let me know, and I'll tell you a couple of places on shore that are so good that we normally don't even bother to use the boat.

18. Buckedup

Buckedup New Member

State:
    NC
    I live in N C Carolina, what is skipjack?

19. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    hey youcan always get bluegill:wink:

20. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Skipjack Herring is an oily fish that is usually cut into chunks and used to catch Catfish especially Blue catfish. It lives in rivers and lakes and is usually caught on small jigs and rigs called sabiki.

Attached Files: