no sinkers

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Jun 18, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    is it bad to not use a sinker in a lake fore flatheads to me it would be a more natueral bait presentation,

2. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    do you mean like using a splitshot???

or freelining your bait ????

what kind of rig to you use...most people use a 3 way or a slipsinker rig know as the carolina rig.... it alows the bait to be taken without feeling and tention from the sinker....

a tad bit more info about your situation would be good for more answers

3. slowhand

slowhand New Member

State:
    Texas
    It is best to use a sinker if you are fishing live perch for flatheads. The perch will swim around and tangle your line on roots and things in the water. Also makes it less work for MR whiskers to eat him,he cant get away lol.

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i never did it i use the three way swivil rig with a 2 ouce sinker and a gamma 567 or 8, j or circal, i just thought it would be a good thing to try

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if your fishing a river with clean sand bars its a good presintaion you just have to keep up with your bait so it makes fishing work instead of fun.

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I fish for flatheads in a lake without much current. I float live Bluegills on a big catbobber without any weight. I use a 3-way rig and about a 3oz. sinker to fish Bluegills on the bottom. When a big Flathead is hungry and he finds your bait.... it doesn't really matter if there is a weight or not. It doesn't seem to bother them.:eek:oooh:

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I use weight no matter where I fish because I like my line tight or darn close to it. A free line will still move in the wind or your bait will drag it to the nearest timber to hide.

If I'm in a clear bottom I can use a longer leader to let the bait roam around lookin lively.

-Jim-

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have caught one flathead freelining perch. it was a whopping 3 pounds. most of the time i have found freelining live bait to tire the bait faster than when you have them weighted down with a sinker. i freeline cutbait a lot for stripers and cats, but with live bait it has always been a hassle- trees, rocks, and other cover your bait goes to.

9. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I know of only one use for freelining ... Here in the Palo Verde valley we take a Bluegill Put him on a hook with no wieght and drop him in the upside of a canal pipe. give him a few feet of line every now and then and eventually you'll find a big Flat sleeping in one of those pipes. Make sure you have some damn good line to pull even a 15 pd flat flat out of one of those pipes with all that current. Other than that I say your bluegill will run to hte nearest cover and tangle you up.

10. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i usually use the carolina rig.except i hoook my bait from the bottom,under where you would hook it from the top behind the dorsal fin.if you hook it through the top ,when fishing the bottom,the bait will fall over.hooking it from the bottom has the hook hanging under the bait,which helps keep it upright.i like sinkers because it helps keep the bait from swimming into snags,cast close to cover,and use clickers.