No shad to be found..

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by tbull, Nov 28, 2008.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Went out with my Dad today, and I couldn't find shad anywhere, from the 275 bridge on down river to north bend, weird?????:eek:oooh:...Had to use skippies all day and only caught 5 channels, one being a monster 17lber, biggest channel I have ever caught. Couldn't find the blues today, I hate not having shad. Beginning to thick skippies aren't worth the time and money it takes to go get them, IMO they don't produce worth a crap...Anyone else having trouble finding shad?

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Last weekend couldnt find any in Mill creek and finally after an hour, found a few way down river but the effort is getting rediculus just to have 6-8 fresh shad. I feel your pain. :sad2::angry::sad2:
    Still hoping next weekend to get into a bunch of skippies at the gathering, ( BTW me and Mellon should now be there weather dependant, we are skipping the tourney for lack of funds)

Salmonid

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Sounds good, yeah I dont get it, all the places I even hit as a last resort because of distance still no shad, the blues are hitting them more than skippies right now, atleast in my experience. This is a bummer, dont want to resort to storing shad in the freezer like the old days...lol

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the report Tbull. It is looking like rain for the gathering next week.

5. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    For those of you that believe in the lunnar table it is also one of the worse days of the month to fish but I don't get into that stuff. Today for instance was a new moon and supposed to be awesome. Fished all day and caught 3 blues. Not complaining Though. Kinda glad its gonna rain. My boat looks like someone was murdered in it. Skipjack scales and guts everywhere. She needs a bath!!! LOL

6. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Its hard to go by that though.....I looked early this morning at the extended forecast it said 50 and partly sunny. Now it says 47 and scattered snow showers. By next week it could be 65 and sunny...lol.

7. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Hey Tbull how was the current brother?

8. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Current was pretty strong since the river was on a slow rise. Got a pretty serious issue with my boat, just in time..:angry:...Got fuel leaking from the bottom carb, hopefully a gasket and not a cracked bowl, if I dont get it figured out soon my gathering plans may take a 180 degree turn...:sad2:

9. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Man u got to be their, your the organizer. If all else fails I got ya bro!

10. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    We went up in the licking river a bit just to nose around the other day and their were lots of bait fish (shad I would assume) about 20' deep ,thick, a couple hundred feet into the river.......should have thrown for a few of them but didn't.

11. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I throew for those same schools a few weeks ago, never got anything??? Not sure they were shad, the schools were long and skinny, not in a ball like shad tend to do. Please let us know if you do find them there.

BTW on a different board, some guys launched out of Tanners yesterday and said it took them 3 hrs to get 6 small shad, tried all the known places with no luck. Even mentioned trying a few places I thought were still secret, but apparently not. :sad2:

Salmonid

12. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I know what you are talking about, I have no idea what those fish are called, they are almost transparent.....See them at the dam alot. Almost seems like the river came up a foot, and screwed everything up I guess?? All the fish were used to crappy river conditions...:smile2:

13. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I feel your pain.

Here in VA on the James, the shad have been really hard to find this year as well. The usual spots just aren't as thick with shad as they were last year, and most of us are spending alot more time (hours) finding shad than we used to (10-15 minutes).