no roll sinkers

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by slikk03, Jul 28, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    will no roll sinkers,hold in curent or go with it how do they work i got som 2 ounce for a smal dam

2. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    not sure how much current your talking about

but my guese will take more then 2 ounce

if your tackle will allow i would use 6 to 8 .

3. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    They will hold in current you might need to keep adding more though until you get it right.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    There is a lot of things to consider other than the size of the weight. As mentioned, the current makes a sizeable difference. If it is a slow current, less weight is required. If it is a fast current, as a tail race at a major dam, you may not be able to throw enough weight to get it to hold. The diameter of your line makes a difference as a larger diameter line will produce more drag and will normally pull the sinker along the bottom. The best thing to do is, through experience, match the sinker to the condition. It may well be that you need a claw sinker instead of a no-roll.

5. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    You also might want to try using an 8 ounce pyramid sinker:wink:

6. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Willie, Yes...no roll sinkers will hold in current if you take into consideration the current speed and the weight of the sinker you need. How do they work? Well, they are flat so they lay on the bottom and allow less rolling of the sinker due to the current you are fishing in. A standard slip sinker rig is the most common way they are used. As a rule for me the more current the shorter I make the leader to cut down on a chance of a snag from the bait moving around.

7. ATTICUS_BUDDY

ATTICUS_BUDDY New Member

State:
    mn originally now NC
    how strong is the current brother if its very strong got up to 8 oz

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have fished places where 16 ounces of weight wont hold...alot depends on the lenght of your cast also..alot of line in the water will drag you sinkers downstream.