No Roll Sinkers

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by BigTattoo, Nov 27, 2005.

1. BigTattoo

BigTattoo New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hello. I am about to switch from my old three-way rigs to a slip type rig with a stopper to suspend the bait. (I'll be using the same one that BigGeorge uses.) I have a question. I'm about to order some no roll sinkers and was just curious, for those of you that use them or any other type of sinker for that matter, generally, does everyone keep every size (1, 2, 3, 4, ect. oz.) in your box, or do you skip a size or two in between? I currently fish the Atchafalaya River and use a 2 oz. pyramid weight with my three-way rig. It slides along in the current a little bit, so I will definitely be getting the three oz. no roll and the one oz. for a couple of spots that I fish that don't have much current. Should I be concerned about going in between the two and getting a 2 oz.?

Thanks,
    BigTattoo

2. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I currently have 1-4 oz no rolls, and I will be getting bigger ones(5-8 oz). I keep multiple sinkers available due to water level, and current strength. I used a 1oz one day on a spillway with low water and had no problems, then that night I had to switch to a 3oz to keep my bait from drifting down river when they opened up the gates for the Hydro-electric dam.

So to answer your question, yes I would have multiple weights with me at all times.

Ray

3. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Big tattoo, its to bad you live so far away. I have a bin full of 4 and 5 ounce I am wanting to get rid of.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    hey brother. hers the deal. if you cover the cost of shipping ill send ya some to try out. i have 1, 1 1/2 2, and 3 oz sinkers. ill ship ya a bunch so ya can test them out with your rig. all ya got to do is send me a m,o, for 5-6$ and ill send ya a few #'s to try. sound good? let me know. ill send em out and you can send the shipping after i ship em and find out the cost. i have a mold of course.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Lance ya gotta ask yourself what do ya need to fish the waters that you primarily fish. And is the fishin gear ya use capable of handleing a large sinker when necessary. If you are trackin down them blues in a heavy current 8 to 10 ounces is not uncommon. I'm sendin ya a PM with some info.

6. BigTattoo

BigTattoo New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for all of the advice and info. I was just curious about what everyone carries. I completely understand that the size varies according to current, bait size, etc. I was just interested in finding if people that use a 4 oz. weight actually carry a 3, 4, and 5 oz. weight, or is it okay to skip a couple of sizes? Anyway, I think I have a better understanding now.

Thanks,
    BigTattoo

7. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    i carry 1 and 3 oz no roll. thats all i use on the mississippi river. the beads are a real good idea. i have a large selection of barrel sinkers for other conditions, plus the usual split shot. good fishing

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Tattoo, I use no rolls, I carry mine in the tackle box, I keep the box in my boat at all times. I have no rolls from one once to up to five once. Hope to get a mold up to ten once if I can find it. How much a current do you fish in?

9. BigTattoo

BigTattoo New Member

State:
    Louisiana

TopSgtLawrence,
    I'm fishing hte Atchafalaya River near Morgan City, Louisiana, and I call the current strong. What everyone calls strong current might be completely different. The majority of my fishing background has been in slow current. (Bayous and such) I wanted to ask this a while back and hadn't gotten around to it. Is there some place on the internet that I could find out current speed for my area, or is there a way that I can find out on my own? I thought about casting an empty jug out on my line and timing how fast it takes to go a certain distance. I'm still not quite sure if that would be accurate. LOL Seriously though, there has to be a way to find out. I'm just not sure how. Any opinions on this would be great. I'm sorry if this is a dumb quesiton.

Thanks,
    BigTattoo

10. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    No dumb guestion at all! We can get the current report from the local game and fish station.. may-be they only do that here but I have called and asked and they always tell me. Also there is a number that we call to see how many turbines are generating at the dam the more generating the strong and faster the current.

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Check out this link for USGS. USGS Water Gages I use them for the same information, and you can scroll down for the water you are interested in, then click on the link which will bring up a page where you can change the search parameters if need be. Hope this helps.

12. BigTattoo

BigTattoo New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for all of the help guys. That is an awesome site. It's still kind of confusing to me, but I will figure it out. Basically, what I see is 35,900 cubic feet per second. Does this sound correct to anyone, and is that what you would consider strong current?

Thanks,
    BigTattoo

13. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

WOW!!!! That seems like alot. Get multiple sizes of no-rolls, and beads and play around to see what works best. You can start at Catfish Connection if you wish to order a few before you get molds, you can order your molds up to 8oz at CC also.

Ray

14. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Did you find you some no roll sinkers? The current you described to me will take 8 to 10 ounce to keep your bait down. I made me a sinker rig to fish the Mississippi but I could not make the trip because I had a doctors appointment.The current in the Mississippi is strong also.

15. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Strong???? Thats an understatement!!!!!!! Lets put it like this, put a 5 gallon jug on the end of your anchor line and its near impossible to get back, put a 2.5 gallon jug on it and its gone...... Mac :cool:

16. BigTattoo

BigTattoo New Member

State:
    Louisiana

TopSgtLawrence,
    Yes. I did find some no rolls. I ordered some three ounces from catfish connection. I know they will probably drag along some, but I used two ounce pyramid weights and they did okay for me. I'm sure that I will end up ordering some heavier no rolls down the line, but I wanted to place an order with Catfish Connection anyway especially to see how their service is. I've heard good things about them. I've always been the kind of person that likes to spend my hard earned cash in my community, but around here the bait shops are just plain rude, so if a company online wants to treat me better, I'll take advantage of it. Thanks for all of the help. It's very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    BigTattoo

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Catfish connection has good prices on all sizes of no roll sinkers, thats where I get mine from.

18. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I keep 1oz,2oz & 3oz no rolls in my box.

19. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Big Tattoo, Here is a rig I made to fish swift current, Rig it carolinia style, The No-rolls are 5 ounce, the crimped round lead came off an old cast net of mine, the wire threw the no-rolls are from an old plastic coated cloths line,

1 Put your no-rolls on, use as many as you need.
    2 Put your round sinker on
    3 put your barrel swivel on
    4 place the end or the wire back threw the round sinker
    5 using a hammer smash the round sinker over the wire.

you must leave your self enought wire to push back threw the round sinker!!

20. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I always keep 1 and 2 ounce no rolls in my box and I will be ordering some 3 ounce ones soon.