No Roll Sinkers..Scuffing those expensive rods..

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Big Sam, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Hey guy's got a trick to stop those no-rolls from scuffing up our cat-rods. Of course this is for the folks who like to transport there rods ready to fish..Wrap those sinkers with electric tape...I do it all the time..It won't come off in the water...I only wrap the sinkers on the rods for transport purposes..Also I was thinking that it also will prevent a large blue from feeling the coldness of the lead and spitting it out when he sucks in the bait..Any way it works for protecting rods..Thought I would share this tip:)

2. BoCaHoLiC

BoCaHoLiC New Member

State:
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Big Sam, thats a heck of an idea. Thanks!

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    That is a Great tip! Thanks for sharing.

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Very good idea buddy rep points your way.

5. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    We use the sinker Sliders and just remove the weights before storing rod. I believe you can get the sliders in several sizes. Also makes it easy to adjust weights when on the move.

Salmonid

6. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Great idea Big Sam,thanks fer the info!:cool:

7. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Dang mate, thats a nice tip there. I should probably start doing that, because like you said, I do notice the scratches on my rods.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have found that little girl hair barrets work wonders for fishing poles... the small ones can be put around the pole to imobolize a hook (bonus - two will do two hooks, LOL), they also will imobolize the sinker, and if you fish with two or three piece poles, the larger ones can be used to secure the pieces together for transport, reducing the risk of damaging the pole. In addition, you can get a 2 to 3 foot strip of velcro, wrap it around the top and bottom of your poles, and sling them over your shoulder like a rifle when your carrying everything to the bank. Sure makes it easier.

9. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I agree with Salmonid on this one.

10. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Good Idea. Thanks!

11. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    good idea.thanks

12. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Good tip I will use it. but i also will try and find those sinker sliders. Any idea where a man should start looking for the sliders I thank you in advance. Bigcatman0816.

13. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Thats a great idea. I just make a big loop after I hook the hook on the hook holder eye on the rod and wrap the line around the bottom of the reel and the no roll sinker is sitting on the bottom half of the reel and no rod damage.

14. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
  15. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thats a very good tip. Thanks.

16. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    JDStraka, you can get the Sinker Sliders from Catfish Connection, a sponsor here on the site, catfishconnection.com I believe.

Salmonid

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    If you are like me and tie your rigs pretty much the same lenght each time I just wrapped the electrical tape around the rod at the section my sinkers normally impacted.I even found white electrical tape at West Marine to match my rods.This has done a fine job for all type of sinkers.I also discovered velcro strips at Lowes that I will use to simply secure the sinker to the rod and hold it in place then strip it off when I'm ready to fish.Rods take a pounding in a boat during rough water.:) ;)

18. burntaffliction

burntaffliction New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, NC
    I like to use Velcro strips that Lawrence mentioned - the ones I use are the same ones used to tame computer and electric cords. I'll wrap one strip toward the butt of the rod, one near the tip, and the last one around the no-roll sinker (close to a guide to help prevent the Velcro strip from working itself off). I can grab my rod and reel from the garage, throw it in the car trunk, drive to a fishing spot, and ready my rod and reel for action in seconds without worrying about flying sinkers, tangled lines, or stray hooks. Putting the electrical tape around the spot on the rod (when broken down if two or three piece setups) where the no-roll sinker frequently comes into contact, coupled with the Velcro, would make a good combination of protection and convenience.