No roll sinkers I need info?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by knmfish, Sep 30, 2006.

1. knmfish

knmfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    No roll sinkers I need info? I just started using them it seems i get caught up more, does this sound weird? What end of the weight do u have facing hook? The small end or the big end?

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The big end is how I use them.

3. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    the big end i how i use them also... Kenny how long is the leader you are using and whats it like where you are fishing?....

4. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    This is the first year that I have used the no roll also,and they do seem to get hung up more. Seems that big end small end has made no difference in the hang ups,but it only happens in the rocks.I do use a bigger size than what I need to use,Seems using the bigger size will hang up less in the rocks,Tends not to fall in-between the rocks as bad and get hung up..........just some thoughts............keep ur nose to the wind ur powder dry and ur hull wet..........

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Thought there were other sinkers to use in a heavy rock area, like those pencil shaped ones. No rolls pretty much work on a mud/sand/sparsely rock covered area. There is no sinker that is going to work in a rocky area that is like ripraff. All sinkers will fall through the crack. So, when fishing those areas just make up your mind your gonna loose sinkers and bring plenty with you. It is a part of the expense of fishing.

6. eaglesfan00000

eaglesfan00000 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thats all I use and I use the small end first and let it
    slide free, I fish rocky area all the time and I rarely get hung up.
    When I reel up I pull up high and reel. If the no-roll is moving down stream
    just bump up to a bigger oz.

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I also put the big end toward the hook. To me, one of the advantages of no rolls is that the flat shape provides a little bit of lift, so it's easier to get them up above the snags. I usual start my reel in process by giving it a pretty good jerk to get it above the bottom snags, and then reel in as fast as possible. But nothing helps if it's already between a couple of big rocks. There are some places where you are just going to get hung up alot.

If I fished in the rocks a lot I would probably use a 3 way rig, and tie the sinker off with a lighter line than your main line. A lot of times you will loose your sinker, but at least get the hook and swivel back, and maybe land a few fish too, where you might have lost everything before.

8. knmfish

knmfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have been fishing a rocky hole using a 18 inch leader with a ounce and half weight using 3 to 4 inch chubs .