No roll sinkers? are they really roll proof?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Chief, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i fish a pretty heavy current from time to time and it seems no matter what weight sinker i use it always seems to get blown downstream. i've always used pyramid sinkers and was wondering if a "no roll" would help any? i'm also a cheapskate so if there more expensive its not an option..lol

2. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Best ive found and you can get them at a great price from our sponsor catfish connection.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    a no-roll isnt going to roll, but it can get "dragged" downstream until it gets lodged against something. most likely by then your snagged. i think pyramids might dig in a little better.

4. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    In a heavy current a no roll will also plain off the bottom at times.

5. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've been using no-roll for quite a while now, and I like them a lot. They hold probably as good or better than anything I've used so far.

6. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    Yes, they will help. I like them when I want my bait to stay put, but, like it was stated before, they can & will be draged down stream when using big baits. After all, its just lead. I think you should give them a try. The price is just about the same.

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I bought some 5 oz ones today to try, we will see.

Danny

8. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    No Roll Sinkers Are Exactly That No Roll

9. kyblue49

kyblue49 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    It doesnt matter what kind of sinker it is ,if the current is too strong for the weight of it.

10. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    Pyramids work great in mud or sand, but if you're fishing in a lot of current, there's a good chance the bottom will be rocky (especially if you fish tailraces).

If you're a cheapskate or can't find no-rolls in your area, just do what I do and take a bank sinker and pound it flat with a hammer (might be a little tough to do with a pyramid sinker) :)

Here are a couple of before and after pictures of said "improvised" no-roll sinkers:

Attached Files:

11. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Like the other guys they dont roll, the flat slip sinkers are'nt that expensive from Catfish Connection.

12. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I just purchased a no-roll sinker mold which arrived in the mail two days ago. I couldn't wait to try it out so yesterday I banged out about a hundred sinkers from 1 to 3 oz. They are definetly more of a pain in the butt to make than other style sinkers but I can't wait to try them out. I will post my field test results when I get the chance to use them!

13. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio

Do you need any more field testers to give you a hand Scott??? :0a12: I'm sure you'll be pleased with them.

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The foce of the current against your line will drag your sinker downstream, and the heavier line you use, the more force the current exerts. You need to fish with a "CLAW" sinker in a current if you want your weight to hold. I don't know a retailer for these sinkers, but there is a do-it mold available for those DIY's we have on board. The wires snags against rocks and/or other obstructions and straighten out when pulled. Eventually they break, and you throw the lead back into your pile and make more sinkers. lol

15. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i guess what i'll do is once i lose my current stock(not hard when fishing around timber:mad: ) get some no rolls from the catfish connection and find out

16. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    AwShucks is right on the money. If this is a spot you regularly fish than your not being frugal by looisng lead that you know won't hold???

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    they have no roll sinkers at cat connection up to 8or 10 oz. if the current is to strong for that i would advise staying far from the waters edge,lol.

18. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    just ordered some sinker slides after hearing they worked well. now i'm wondering how i will use my favorite no roll sinkers, theres nothing to connect the snap to!!!!?? duh! maybe i will try those "dollar" sinkers, flat round, and have an eyelet molded on the side. maybe hammer a cotter pin into the no-rolls? maybe just swap the slides for more sinkers? dum bass!
    catwacker