No roll sinker sizes

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by robbor, Feb 3, 2007.

1. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    Hey guys, I cant find any large no roll sinkers locally and could use a little input.
    Any body have any of the larger sinkers 4,6,8 handy and can give me rough dimensions?
    Secondly what weight would you recomend for really fast water, large bait(1/3 mackeral) and 40# test with a side current on it. I dont remember what weight sizes I have last time(egg sinkers) but thet were not nearly enough.

2. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i think 6oz an 8oz are the big ones for the no rolls i fish the ohio river we have alot of curent there 5 are what im use an seem to work just fine

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
  4. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    I bought a varity of sizes on ebay .Look there you will find a wide range of sizes

5. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I also fish the Ohio river and the #5 size no-roll seems to work good for me in that current with fairly large baits.

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Try usin a 5# hammer and use the right size banksinkers in a pinch....

I do with up to 10 oz sinkers.

:smile2:

7. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would also suggest buying them off ebay because if you do the do-it yourself mold company, it can get kind've costly buying the heating pot and all the other accesories

8. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    thanks for the input guys. I made a sinker out of aluminum so I can make a mold of it and then pour some lead its about 2 3/8 long x 1 1/2" wide x 1/2" thick and I am guessing its going to be about 6.5 to 7 oz. I will also smash some egg sinkers and try them out next time out and see what works well. I am looking at molds but would like to confirm what weight I need first.

Attached Files:

• a10.jpg
      a10.jpg
      File size:
      7.5 KB
      Views:
  9. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    Its pretty bad when you are not allowed to view your own pics:lol:

10. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    In fact its really bad; OH!! now I can see pics:lol:

11. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    Well I did the first 1/2 of the sinker mold, its been a while since I made a mold. I was doing the first half when I tamped it and it sank way to deep so I pulled the sinker out and was cleaning it off and the alum sprue former popped off(it was super glued on), I was rushing like made to get it back in. The sides of the sinker are not beveled so it took a little to get it out. Then I started smoothing the first half with a file and realized i forgot to put the marbels in to allign both halfs:beat_brick:so I just used a 1/2 drill to make 2 recesses. It did not look to bad. I just poured the second half. It is going to be a bear to get the 2 halfs apart but we will see. If it works to make 10 or 12 sinkers ill be happy so I can test them and then ill make a mold out of silicone and but a do it mold for the smaller sizes.http://onfinite.com/libraries/1100987/a10.jpg
    I will have to crush up on posting pics with out a link also:lol:

Attached Files:

• a10.jpg
      a10.jpg
      File size:
      17.5 KB
      Views:
  12. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    I aided the help of my Pops to take the mold apart. He insisted he get credit by having his finger in the pic:cool2:. Thankfull I took a 1/4 bolt and used it as a file on the first half of the mold to make 3 gaps to use to pry it apart evenly. I then filled them with vasoline before pouring the second half. The mold came apart nicely but did have a few small air bubbles even though I tamped it really well the second time, thinning out the Durhams watter putty some more would probably help. I will let it dry for 2 days and maybe fill the bubbles a little and then pour some lead.
    http://onfinite.com/libraries/1101051/a10.jpg

http://onfinite.com/libraries/1101052/a10.jpg

Attached Files:

• a10.jpg
      a10.jpg
      File size:
      29.7 KB
      Views:
  13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rob your pics looks good. You did a fine job of crafting that no-roll sinker. It should do your job. Thanks for sharing.:lol: :smile2: