No-roll Sinker Mold out of sheetrock

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by sarSWAMPFOX, Dec 3, 2007.

1. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    This how I make my no-roll sinkers.

What you will need :
    A scrap piece of ½”sheetrock about 18” X 18”
    Ruler or Strait edge
    Pencil
    Circular saw
    Router with 3/8” bit
    10 or more wire close hangers
    Wire cutters

The amount of molds & size of each mold may differ for what you may want. I just plan to show how I make the molds not specify size or weight. You can change the size and or shape to fit your needs. With this mold I will be making 4 different size sinkers.

[​IMG]

First lay out the Sheetrock something like the one in the picture. A simple way is to use the ruler or strait edge and mark a strait line down the center. Then use a store bought no-roll sinker as a stencil. Or you can measure out each piece. Make sure to leave about ½” space between each mold. Lay out as many as you can fit or what ever you feel happy with to start off.

[​IMG]

Second set your circular saw depth at 3/16” and cut down the strait lines through the layouts. These cuts are were your wire will set when your ready to pour.

[​IMG]

Third set your router depth at ¼” and cut out the inside of each lay out. After you cut out each layout clean the dust out of them. Inspect for flaws inside each mold carefully.

[​IMG]

Fourth cut strait pieces of the wire the length needed for your mold. Place the wires slots you cut with your circular saw earlier. Make sure the wires set flat in the slots but not touching the bottom of the mold.

[​IMG]

Set your mold on a flat level surface. I use a work bench in my shop. Now you should be ready. Melt your lead and fill your molds like filling an ice tray. Let cool the use the wire to lift out the sinkers. They may still be to warm to handle so I drop mine in a 5 gal bucket of water. When cooled enough use pliers to hold and twist wire on the bent end. My no-roll sinkers look like this. Hope this helps.

2. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    I just modified my set up by instead of using the close hangers I use 316L stainless Tig welding rods 3/32" . They slide out so much easier than the close hangers. Just thought I would pass this along.

3. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    My coat hander wanted to float and how did you keep the lead from running down the grove the wire lay's in......thank's in advance

4. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    OK , What that means is that the groove for the wire is wider than the wire. Two things can be tried to fix this problem easily. You can either put a little bend ( kinda like an arch ) this will wedge the wire in the groove. Another easy fix is to set a weight on each in of the wire just outside the edge of the mold. Something like a paper weight. If you pour ingots fist use two of them one on each end. Another problem you may run into with the wide groove is that the lead will bleed in the groove, just trim it off with the snips and deburr the hole. Hope this helps.

5. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Spray the wire with some of the wife's no stick cooking spray (Pam) before inserting into slot. I Have also used silicone spray, it works equally well. The rod should slide right out. Hope this makes it easier!

6. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    You can also line your wires with aluminum foil. This will let the wire slide right out also and gives you a slicker surface to feed your line thru when you put the weight into action.