No Reverse!

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by k5camaro, Jan 11, 2007.

1. k5camaro

k5camaro New Member

State:
    texas
    Okay fellas' here's the deal. I have a 69' Wellcraft with an Evinrude 85 horse Starlite, and hydro electric shift.My problem is no reverse,I think my wiring and solenoids are working because it really sounds like reverse is trying to engage.kinda like a grinding going on in the lower unit.the local boat mechanic says my reverse gear is bad and something else, not really sure. I feel as if he is scamming me because, he just wants to exchange my lower unit with another "used" lower unit. And charge me close to 400.00 bucks because he says there aren't any parts to be found anywhere.Is it possible that the lower unit just needs oil,or is it serious? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Its possible that it needs oil but most likely not. It does sound like the reverse gear is gone. You have got type C oil in haven't you. Any other type oil won't let it shift at all. I have a article some where that tells you how to check those selnoids. And the mech is right about the parts they are hard to come by. If I can find those instructions on how to check it I will post it.

3. k5camaro

k5camaro New Member

State:
    texas
    thanks bubbakat but i think i have type c oil in it because in forward it shifts fast and crisp no problem.