No Repair, Just a Question

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by HoggyO, Jan 27, 2007.

1. HoggyO

HoggyO New Member

State:
    PA
    Hello Catfish Brothers and sisters,

This is not a repair question, I just didnt know where else to post it. I bought a 14 foot Tri-hull from a guy at work, it has a older 50 h.p Johnson motor on it and it is way to loud, if I want to do some fishing or duck hunting there is no way I'll sneak up on anything!! My Question is this...If I was looking to buy a new motor to put on my Boat what size would do the trick? I dont plan on being speed racer, I just want to do some fishing, duck hunting, Any Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Hoggy

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Whats wrong with the one you have besides being to noisey? I'd put the same size motor back on it if you don't wasnt to ber a speeddemon out there. Yamaha makes a good quite motor,but they ain't cheap.Isn't there someway to quite yours down? be a lot cheaper.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Bill,
    Any of the four strokes would serve your purpose.
    I have a 15hp Honda and a Yamaha 115hp, both 4 strokes and I would recommend either of them depending on your needs.
    A lot of times guys have come up to the boat at the dock and been surprised when they realize the engine is running...W

4. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    If you have the room a small kicker motor/trolling motor might also work .Run the big motor close to where ya wanna be and switch to the smaller and go from there.

5. Localhero813

Localhero813 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would go with ( ^^D^^) on getting a trolling motor. fire the bad boy up till you get close and then use the trolling motor arround close. i use a 28 pound minn kota on the transom and it gets me around pretty good dispite my size.

6. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    f the old 50 johnson is runnin g fine, I'd have to go with the other suggestions of adding a kicker or trolling motor

:0a22::0a20: