No pressure in 1 cylinder

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by jrgriffhusker, Aug 10, 2009.

1. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I have a 86 Mariner ( I think) and I checked the pressure in my cylinders after I found a broken oil line. I have 120 psi in 5 of my 6 cylinders.
    Could this be a blown head gasket?
    Could this be a bad piston, cylinder wall, or what could it be?
    I'm pretty mechanically inclined but my other question is. Do I need to tear apart my lower unit before I start working on the head and all that?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you going to break it all the way down you have to remove the lower unit but not break it down. The best way to tell about the low cylinder is do a leak down test or pull the head.

3. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    What do I need to do a leak down test? And what do I look for when I do it? I'd rather do that before tearing it down all the way.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I suggest pulling the head and look inside the cylinder wall for damage and look at the head itself and gasket. That is the simplest way to do it. Then if a gasket or head is bad then you can repair it and button it back up.
    If the piston or walls have damage the you can redo that one whole and be good to go but find out what caused it to happen. That is as important as rebuilding it/

5. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I think it happened when my oil line on the oil injection broke at full speed. Does that sound plausible

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yep that will do it.:wink:

7. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Okay I will keep you posted when I start tearing into it. Can I use a normal flywheel puller to take the flywheel off.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Naw Its one of those funney ones. I'll see if I can find a link to what one looks like.

9. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    use a crowsfoot puller or a harmonic balancer puller [same thing] for a car will work fine

10. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    A very good guy sent me a link to a website that sells the tool that is made for it. Thanks for the idea though, I read that I can really screw it up if I don't use the tool that is made for it.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Gosh John, don't you think all tool manufacturer's would have that posted somewhere with their tools. LOL

12. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Yes that would difinitely do it for sure.

13. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    It was actually the Mariner book that told me that. But definetly the tool guys would say that, heck they'd say anything just to sell a tool. LOL