No peep type setup

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by Grimpuppy, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Because of a change in the Kansas regs I am going to bow hunt this year for the first time. I have a slight problem with the peep sight. I can not close one eye at a time. I have always shot guns with both eyes open without issue. But try as I may I can not seem to make it work on the bow peep sight. I would not try to take a deer as bad as it is. I tried an eye patch and it works well for me. But I am woundering if any of the no peep devises work well. I am not looking forward to wearing an eye patch sitting in the stand.

2. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I've shot with a bow scope before. It was a red scope for a bow, with special mounting bracket. It was leagal here in NY as long as no beam was projected. If your regs permit a laser sight I have tremendous acurracy at the indoor range messing with one of those. As long as you have consistant form you can look for the spot with either or both eyes.
    Some folks say it's cheating, I say if it allows for cleaner shots and leaves
    less poorly shot wounded deer in the woods then it's ok with me.

Richard

3. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    I had trouble using a peep sight when I first started bow hunting. So I went to a Hindsight Magnum Extreme sight and I belive this sight is the easiest sight to use once it is set up. I am able to use it with both eyes open. Heres the link for you: http://www.hindsightco.com/Default.htm. I hope this helps. Good luck this year.

4. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I have a bow with a sight and 2 without .. the one with a sight if the wind is blowing is hard to keep on target...I feel that is a handicap..

I shoot no sights , and allow no more than 4 seconds to aquire my styrofoam block pull back and shoot...closer to 2.5 or 3 seconds

I will walk around the yard hide behind trees never shoot from the same place twice...
    You will learn to judge distance that way, and you and your bow will become one ..
    And both eyes will be open , and that is better for judging distance.

Try it you might like it...Most of my friends that miss a deer , either shoot too high or too low ..
    "I Used the wrong pin"--- "I did not judge the distance right" ---my favorite ."I do not know what happened I completely missed , i need to sight in some more"...

You just weren't hungry enough :wink:

5. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I have been practicing without the peep. As long as I anchor in the same spot I do alright even out to 40 yards. But if I miss my anchor by a little bit then it is way off. I can hit dead center with the peep from 10 yards. But at 20 with the peep I am way off to the right. I set my 20 pin all the way in and still hit 12" right. It also doesn't help that my bow is a tad to long on draw length. Had it worked on last night and he made it a lot better. But it really needs to be shortened up and inch or two more. The draw is adjustable from 30-32 and he got it to 29 by taking the string off and twisting it some. It is a lot more shootable now at least. I will keep practicing.

6. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Good luck.The pros always shoot with both eyes open but never worked for me either.I would have to say just keep practicing what your doing untill your comfortable with it.

7. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    You hit the nail on the head
    Practice Practice.....If the rest is adjustable You can possibly fix the problem of the arrow going further to the right or left as you move back further...
    By bringing the rest in closer to the bow ,,or further from the bow ,,You can better line the arrow up with the bow ,,,,then right and left will not be such a problem ...just up and down

more tunnin'

8. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I had the peep changed to a bigger one. I didn't know there are different sizes of peeps, and I had a very small one. I shot last night and what a difference. I can now see my pins through the peep and was even able to put some on target from out to 40 yards. Now I just need lots of practice to eliminate them stray arrows every now and then. Thanks for all your help.

9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    When I hunted with a compound, I just used three pins and no peep sight. Eventually I took the sights off and shot instinctively. Note that I never take a long shot. Most of my deer have been killed at 50' or less.

10. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I shoot with both eyes open using a peep sight. It helps during low light times. I just put the pin on the deer and wink my left eye a few times to make sure I'm using the right eye to sight with. Try it....

11. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    The problem is I can't wink :embarassed:. I am doing a lot better now. Been shooting for a couple hours a night 3 or 4 times a week. I can group arrows 6" at 30 yards. Should be able to close that down with more practice.