No one trying?

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by plumbertom1, Jan 23, 2008.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I guess no one in Ca. is fishing right now.
    I was going to go up to Pyramid lake with one of the local guides to try and help locate the stripers but with the wind and rain we decided to try on another day.
    I don't much care for fishing in the rain particularly in the mountains where it can turn to snow. Just a little cold for this Southern Californian.
    I got to get out and wet a line before too many more days go by though.
    I'm starting to get cabin fever again.

2. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Tom, guess your right. It has been cold lately.

Jaime

3. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Don't say that out loud, Jaime. Them people back in the mid-west and east will think were a bunch of sissies.

4. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I know how you feel. Lakes have been frozen over here in Kansas for at least a month.:eek:oooh:

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    cold cold cold !!!:sad2:

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Tom,

Belive Me / I Fill Ya Pain!

I have to get out there & I got to get out there soon! :angry:

Stripers /Trout / "Anything" - I just got to get out there and wet a line, or I may do something bad.
    (LoL:happy:)
    :wink:

7. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    COMEON SISSYS:smile2:

I'll tell you honestly though I wish I had known about these neoprene socks when I was fishing they really keeps the feet so warm they sweat and I go into freezing water with them up in Coursegold.

LAYERS, thermal underwear, tshirt, sweatshirt and a thick coat and a nice pair of Carthartt thermal overalls you be cozy as a bug in a fleece rug:wink:

8. badams

badams New Member

State:
    california
    Plumbertom. Pyramid Lake may be in So. California and not far from L.A. but anyone whose ever been there in bad winter weather(regardless of where they're from) could be justified if they called it cold. Man the wind can get to whipping across that Grapevine mountain like a son of a gun. 100 mph isnt unheard of. Put that on top of 30 degrees and its cold. When the weather warms up and you want to catch some cats . Fish Quail Lake HWY138

9. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey Tom what kind of cats are native to your part of Cali.? Just wondering.:wink:

10. badams

badams New Member

State:
    california
    Didnt finish before I hit the send button by mistake.
    Quail Lake where the Aqueduct drops off the spillway into the lake. Its a long walk but thats where you'll find fish. Its hard to get your bait down deep enough for cats because stripers nail it on the way down. I dont know why but just about every cat or striper I've seen caught there was right close to 7 pounds

11. badams

badams New Member

State:
    california
    To reel blues.
    Not Tom but I really dont know if any cats are native to California.
    What I see caught is a bunch of channel cats and an occasional Blue depending on where you're fishing. Blues from Lakes Kaweah and Success. There in allot of other places as well I'd imagine though.

12. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Prior to 1874 there were no species of catfish in California fresh water. As I understand it there was a small salt water catfish that could and still can be caught in some coastal areas.

13. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Lake Kaweah is such a beautiful lake. I always wondered why blues are not in that lake. I sure hope so.

14. guppie

guppie New Member

State:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey I have tried Quail lake, and the only time I seen fish there is at night. Nice little lake though. For the past month I have had a good stripe growing down my back and I am smelling pretty bad. Going somewhere to fish tomorrow and try to get rid of this thing.

15. guppie

guppie New Member

State:
    Los Angeles, CA
    OK Santa Ana River Lakes today no cats. Did not see anyone pull one out and there were a few trying. I got one Lightning trout so the skunk is off. Going to San Pablo next weekend to take the godson fishing will let ya'll know how that goes.

16. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Good morning plumber-tom and the rest of you CA. brothers. We just came in from Buena vista lake, The wife and I decided to spend a few days out at the lake fishing, so I picked up a bag of Anchovies a Box of Night crawlers and two cartons of Chicken liver, and Tuesday morning we loaded everything in our trailer and headed for the lake with plans to stay until Saturday. we could not have picked a worse time to go fishing. it rained the whole time we were out their, and most of that time the wind was blowing so hard you couldn't get out of the trailer. finally friday night we had decided we wasn't going to get to fish anymore so we would just eat the bait. so for dinner we had fried Chicken liver and onions, mash potatoes and gravy, and with home made biscuits, what meal. but even though the weather was bad, we didn't catch any fish and had to stay in the trailer, we had great time. And that is what it's all about.

17. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Alston,

Are you taking about San Pablo Res?

If so ("Good Luck") & you in my neck-of -the woods now, so you got to tell me how that trip went. :0a23:
    :wink:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

18. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Sounds like the way things have been going.
    Ray and I went to Nacimiento lake last Saturday and stayed until Wednesday.
    The lake was still low after last months rains Even though it looked to have come up some 30' and had not cleared of all the mud and floating debris.
    We covered the lake pretty well trolling and tossing jigs with a grand total of one white bass for Ray and my hook up with a large mouth that I got to the boat before it came unbuttoned. Both hookups came in the upper part of Snake Creek.
    While we were at the resort we had rain Tuesday and it kept us under the canopy of Rays boat while we trolled the Narrows area Wednesday morning.
    We had the camp ground mostly to our selves and Ray's friends the Carters that were also there to camp and fish. They had a zero in their fish bag also despite their having fished three days prior to our arrival.
    After loading up the camp gear and retrieving Ray's boat we left the lake. We had talked about fishing San Antonio for a day or two but Ray decided to try and get south of the rain so we drove down to Lake Lopez just east of Arroyo Grander. Once at the lake we encountered the rudest park ranger I have ever dealt with either that or she was the stupidest person on Earth.
    After attempting to get a camp space and dealing with the obstructionism of that ranger we departed the campground some what pissed and headed further south to Lake Cachuma.
    The lake was full and beautiful but their launch ramp is undergoing repair so we couldn't put the boat on the lake.
    Down the highway we went hopping to get a spot at Lake Casitas.
    At the Lake entrance they required a boat inspection for Quagga Mussels which the gate man performed. You guessed it, there was a small amount of water in the boat due to traveling in the rain storm that came and went all day as we were driving south so they quarantined Ray's boat from that lake for 4 weeks.
    At that point we were just an hour and half drive from my house and two hours from Ray's so he dropped me off and went on home.
    I can't wait for rock fish season to open next Saturday, although I probably wont go until a weekday.

19. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Photos of Nacimiento lake are on my web album,
    http://picasaweb.google.com/plumbertom1
    Ray has some photos also, he got shots of the bald eagles when I forgot to put my camera in my pocket the first day on the water.

20. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Bert, You have to tell us, where is the "secret spot"? "Looks like the Delta"....

The Month.... Feb 06..... "nice fish"....

It is time..... we need to get back there......Bayrunner Ray