no net or cleaning

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by cliff n york, Nov 30, 2007.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    does any one use a net to land carp,and how do you clean them

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I very rarely fish for rubberlips ,and i dont use a net ,or clean them. I do occasionally chunk them up for bait for cats.

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    ill use a net depending on how big they are.To clean then clean then like you would any fish with scales.use a scale scrapper on it to get all of that off and you know the rest.I dont eat them myself,i either release them or use them for bait.I dont like the taste and to many bones.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I use a net to land them but release them.

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I don't clean them, but if I did I would use an electric knife, Cutting deep behind the gills, turning back through the tail along the spine then leaving the tail attached use the knife to skin the fillet. I would then cut away any red, angry looking meat and if I remember correctly through the middle of the fillet is a dark line of meat that I would cut out. We used to call it a mud streak and it was said that the strong "fishy" taste of carp originates here.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    go bucks!!lol:big_smile: rollo

7. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    My understanding of the questions was "How do you Clean Your NET after usage"! If this is correct, I answer with the folowing: I rinse the NET after the fish has been released and let it dry before packing away. If it happens that I catch a fish right before I depart, I will then rinse the NET and try to get as much water out as possible. This is then taken to the truck and brought home. At the house, I then take it and place it on the balcony for drying. This prevents it from molding or mildewing and also keeps the smell down! If you have for some reason let it start to get in a Smelley or Moldy condition, you should try to wash it as soon as possible and let it DRY completely in the SUN!!! The sun will take most of the germs and kill them. If all else fails, Baking soda will help to kill the oder. As I said, this is what I thought the question was!

8. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L

Do what he says then:
    Using a sharp curved knife, score the fillets on a diagonal every 1/4" or so. Cut through the fillet untill you feel the bones cut. You have to be careful not to cut all the way through. On a large fish just pick the bones out by hand after it is cooked. Soak the fish first in salt water then clear water to remove remaining "fishy" taste.