No more lead ?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by catfish slick, Jul 3, 2008.

1. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Well I live In a part California, where they have just banned Led in our shells. starting the last of this month. they did this a couple of years back with shot gun shells, but at the end of this month I know that my 10-22 and my 17HMR shells will be banned, and I don't know what else. what is going to happen. I cant see shell Manufacturing companies changing shells for for just part of one state. They found one Condor that they say eat some thing that had been shot, and then he died from led poisoning. What a bummer, They caught me with Six new bricks of 22 shells. What a bunch of nit-wits we have running this state, Only in California.

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    That is really crazy. The amount of lead in one bullet should not have been enough to kill a condor. I work with lead all the time. The company I work for uses it all the time and we have to be tested once every three months and my lead level has never been that high. Of course I haven't ever eaten any but I breath it and handle it all the time and it has been proven that lead will absorb through the skin.

So I say this is just another method that peta and other groups like that will slowly squeeze out hunting and guns.

3. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Yes Kevin, I believe Every thing you say is true, but their is not a dam thing we can do about it. and they say after the first of the month, if you are caught with led bullets out shooting varmints their will be a stiff fine and they can confiscate your gun. Not good.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    man. that would tick me off. make ya want to shoot the confiscater.:angry:

i have thousands of lead shot.

5. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Me to Man , and I am hanging on to mine, It may come to your first suggestion

6. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Federal, Remington and Winchester all have lead free centerfire ammo on the market right now. Not sure what all calibers they are available in though. From what I have read CCI is working on "green" rimfire ammo.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i know alot of waterfoul loads are going steel. i got 10 boxes at wal-mart last year. it was clearenced down from $9+ a box to $3.00 12 guage 4 shot. i bought all they had. i dont goose or duck hunt. but it will drop a pheasent just the same.

bad thing is those loads are much more expensive.

8. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    Making it more expensive is what it's all about. They want to make shooting and owning firearms as difficult as possible in the state of CA so that fewer and fewer people will be able to afford it.

This is why it's so important that we all get out and vote every election, and take control away from the idiots in LA and SF. Those PC knee jerk reacting idiots are the reason this state is as bad as it is right now, and I for one am sick of it.

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i hear ya. ammo went up here this year. im buying some every payday now so when it goes through the roof ill have a good supply.

10. Guns & Cockpits

State:
    California
    Oh yeah. That's the reason I find myself not minding doubling up on calibers that I already own. It's almost an advantage to own two 9mms as opposed to a 9mm and a .40 or .38 for the simple fact that I can stock up on just the cheap 9mm rounds. 9mm is the only handgun caliber I can afford to shoot regularly at this point, but even that's gone up about 75% in the last couple of years.

.223 is ridiculous compared to what it used to be, and I don't even want to talk about what it costs me to feed my 30-30 and 45-70.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    ammo in my area has doubled in the last year except for steel shot. what was $14.00 a box last year is now $20.00 a box, on the steel.
    i think banning lead bullets is rediculous. unless you want to pay the super premium price of bismuth and hevi-shot, you must use steel, which loses its energy really quick. if we didn't have to use steel i would use lead #4's for geese and ducks, or mabe even #6's. my BBB's don't have much knockdown past 60-70 yards. and how much would a brick of solid copper .22 lr cost?! i'll bet it would be through the roof, or too damn light to punch much of a hole in anything. i sure hope they come up with a compromise, or a solution that wouldn't cost too damn much. but that isn't california, is it?

12. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Will lead fishing sinkers be next??

13. Guns & Cockpits

State:
    California
    Heh, probably not, unless it will somehow adversely affect the firearms industry in the state of California. That is what this is really about, after all.

14. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ive already started buying non lead splitshot and bullet sinkers for the boys tackle box, i used to pinch them with my teeth. didnt know better back then. hopfully they be the wiser.

16. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks Griz. I just bought a new box of HMR 17s from Big Five yesterday, so why would they not tell a person that you could not hunt with it. and why did they not have new ammo ready before this went in to effect. I am still up set about it.

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    same reason they sell 4-10 slugs here yet there illegal to deer hunt with. they dont care.

18. Guns & Cockpits

State:
    California
    I understand that we're all responsible as fishers and hunters to know the local regs, but I still think that it's crap that they sell stuff that's illegal to use. Part of the responsibility should lie with ALL of us, not just the end user. Just my opinion.

19. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    and think of this- fishermen, especially our group, put more lead in the water than folks that only hunt. i lost over 100 3 ounce sinkers last year, and i don't know how many 4's and 5's. a bunch of .22 slugs in the ground never hurt anything...

20. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    well' I stopped by Big five sporting goods in Bakersfield yesterday. to see when they would be getting new lead free ammo for my Marlin 17 that my son had just bought from them for my fathers day gift. they told me that they did not have any 17 shells for sell, and as far as they knew their was not going to be any lead free 17s made for this part of calif. But that they had talked to a fish and game warden, and he said that they wasn't going to be enforcing that lead free law in this area as long as you picked up your kills and removed them from the hunting grounds. Now you can take that for what it's worth, But my self, I would like to see that in writhing. I know I picked up a new Calif F.G. Hunting reg. book for 2008 and 2009 and it had a list of guns and ammo that would be legal to hunt with in this part of calif, and their was no 17s on the list. Can you believe this B.S. All I have ever shot with my new gun is paper.