no more gathering talks now?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by readingcatfisher, Feb 26, 2009.

1. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    since this other thing was brought up no more gatherings are being spoke about it could help so to speak the East

2. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I really think we should try an East gathering and a west gathering separate and see how it works and then combine them the following year?

3. tomsfishing4

tomsfishing4 New Member

State:
    pa
    i couldnt agree more that will give us an idea bout just how many people are truly serious before we try something big i no i wouldnt like it if i drove half way across the state just find nobody showed up!

4. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Well, I've been to a few gatherings amongst a bunch of catfishermen. anytime you get a bunch of people together it is usually a lot of fun, informative, people helping each other with tips and what not. Just the comraderie alone makes for a good time for all. Shoot, throw in a little fishin' to boot and you have the ingredients for some good quality timje, new friendships, talk of the next get together. There is never a shortage of fishing stories or guys hooking up to go out fishing together sometime.

If you have never been to a gathering of a bunch of catfish addicts, your missing out on the good stuff.:wink:

5. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    well I just cleared it with my wife...

I can take a whole day off work to help me attend such thing:smile2:...needless to say I am thrilled. this makes it more doable for me...

the problems with this is that any firm date is months and months away.

6. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I say for SURE 100% we do a meet-n-greet. I too think it will be more of a success if we separate sides for the first (although, people from either side are more than welcome to travel and attend the other). Anyway, since I am on the west side of PA, where do you fellow westerners think is an appropriate location to have it? We don't necessarily have to catfish, but it would be a plus. Somewhere 10-20 of us could fish, grill, camp (if you want) and just hang out would be great. Once we get a location, we can set a date(s).

7. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    hey mike, i think that's a good idea i'm up for a meet and greet. i was just looking at the fishing hand book last night, and it say any gathering of 10 or more u most get a permit guess it's consider a tournement . just throwing that
    out there. i will try to think of a spot to fish i think everyone else should try also. one more thing i will camp out if anyone wants to, also vinestbrew(matt) is a buddy of mine just started to join in on boc he will more than likel'y come.. thanks justin

8. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    As for the Eastside, the conversation sort of died out for a week or two. I am still up for a gathering and would like to help organize. I am not knowledgeable enough for spots on the Skuke that could hold a gathering.

As soon as we get a spot, we can start talking about dates (hopefully it will fit with your timeframe, Jolie). :cool2:

9. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    having the ability to take a day off allows me to be flexible with time, espacially if its in western pennsylvania.

10. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    what about a gathering at morraine; there's camping nearby, a good catfish population and a diverse fishery.

its no one's honey hole and the 10-20 of us would not be that many. the main arm has a rather nice boat lunch/picnic area. the name escapes me...

I've never caught a channel out of there; but it has a really good reputation, as one of the better places to catfish.

11. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    Blue marsh would work , are there any parks down towards your way Alex?

12. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Hey Ken or Tan you guys have any idea where we could fish with a small group of people maybe if we get a few to many we could split up for a little while and fish and then meet back up and shoot the shit. Or if there is only a couple of us We could just fish the whole time and shoot the shit while we fish. Of course we dont want to intrude on any honey holes but it would be nice to at least catch a flathead. That is if I am invited I know I havent been on here for that long but I am a Central PA redneck. And all I wanna do is meet some fishing buddies and fish till the cows come home.

13. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    We have Fairmount Park, but they have a curfew I believe. Plus, I don't know of good spots that have ample bank space.

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    There's plenty of spots, just make the date.

15. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    jolie i think morraine is a great place to have it.

16. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    ok, we ought to just set a time and place...

Morraine state park (specifically the south shore parking complex accessible from 428).. May 22-23.

lets hash over the date again as I can't remember what peoples schedule was like.. all I can remember is that Tan can't do May...

well, Morraine is a LONG way for Tan. the idea was that this is a west side trip.... (although everyones invited, of course)!

17. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    What's a Morraine State Park ? As long as it in reasonable distance. I will be down to attend such a gathering.

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Especially since I plan to make the 9 hour drive to NE Ohio to fish the Maumee Walleye Run during my spring break in April searching for a 12lb trophy.

19. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    we are gonna hafta have separate gatherings east and west gatherings I know I'll drive down your way a bit Tan I don't know about spider he may not want to if not I'll offer up my services you could meet me and I'll drive plenty of room for your gear in my explorer plus a bait bucket if Lenny goes I could follow him then I don't need my GPS:smile2: the man has satellite built in:eek:oooh:

20. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    morraine state park is a large reservoir thats is 1.5hr North of pittsburgh...

its very easy to find on a map. Interstate 79 is the major interstate north from the city. it is crossed by route 428. (which itself a 4 line road, at that point).

The reservoir sits within 5ish miles of the 79/428 interchange. The south shore can be accessed off an exit from 428... There is parking and benches... it is an easy to find location.

I can provide maps. It is a long ways for eastsiders... but then all places are in the west. It is not in an espacially remote spot (like erie) and has the virtue of being near the major interstates...

from most east/and some central PA locations... you would probably be best to take route I-80 to I-79...
    morraine can't be much further than 30miles from the 79/80 interchange.