No messin around..

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Johnny B, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    I have alot of patience when it come to fishing and I'm kinda bored with the small cats. I have a heavy casting setup with 50 lb. test. I fish at night only on the Fox river in about 3 to 4 feet of water but my question is how big of bait is for big fish only? I usually use cut bait about 2 by 2 inches and I still catch 3-10lb. cats. Anyone have suggestions for increasing my chances for bigger fish?? Thanks:cool2:

2. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Use a whole baitfish!:wink:

3. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    how big of a bait fish...alot of times I use cut up carp you think an 8-10 inch fillet?

4. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Catfish will eat surprisingly large items. My grandfather talked of using 2 and 3 pound carp on trotlines back in his younger days. I've had a 5 pound flethead hit a bluegill big enough for me to eat, on the other hand, I caught one a little over 60 pounds on a nightcrawler. But for the most part, you may want to upsize to 7"-9" greenies and bluegill or 7" and way up for chubs, shad, carp fillets, etc, etc, etc....

5. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Sometimes you've got to feel the big boys out. Sometimes they want a whole gill or shad and sometimes they want a fillet or cut chuck about the size of a silver dollar. When fishing for channels I normally use a chunck of gill about 1 to 2 inches long. When fishing for blues we normally use a peice about 3 to 6 inches long. When that doesnt work we change sizes of bait and bait. Sometimes we throw a smorgasbord out there of all kinds of bait and sizes to get a feel for what they are biting on.

As far as flatheads go I cant help you there. There are not many in the waters I fish and I really havent targeted them.

6. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If ya want flatheads in the larger size,use a whole bluegill,about the size of your hand, with your palm held flat. I also cut their tail,and hook through body above the tail,this gets the blood,and jucies flowing down stream. Ron

7. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    :wink:THANK YOU ,THANK YOU ,AND THANK YOU