No Maps where you are fishing.

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by kmcalester, Sep 27, 2009.

1. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    When you are going to a new spot to fish and there are no maps of the lake, what are you eyeing from the bank for when you get to a spot you want to fish?

2. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    If it is in the spring of the year I will have a tendancy to start in the Northwest corner of the lake to look for structure (wood, debris, and rocks sticking out of the water). In the northern hemisphere the northwest corner of a lake warms up first. Terrain around the lake can give some idea of the lake's structure also. Steep hillsides usually equate to a deep drop off. Points usually have flats with ledges. Hope this helps a little.

Ray

3. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Not so much for lakes, rather rivers. I like to look for a demarcation point of different currents. Where faster water and slower water meet up. Generally fish will hold in slower water at the edge of the faster current. Makes it easier for them to find food with less exertion.

Also the confluence of feeder streams is an excellent place to catch fish.

Also I try to imagine what the bottom looks like based on the shore line. Drop offs, shelves, etc.

Of course structure like submerged logs, dead falls, etc.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  4. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Another thing to pay attention to is wind direction. The wind can and does blow debris all over the water. This blows the plankton and other microscopic organisms with it. The baitfish follow the plankton and the predators follow the baitfish. So the places where the debris and plankton are blowing to are good starting points also.

Ray

5. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I like to find a point or other obstruction that helps concentrate moving fish,with both deep and shallow water nearby,fish holding structure,and a good wind blowing into it,is a good recipe for success. Eich said it,give me a spot with the nice wind blowing right into my face and nice rollers coming in,the channel cats will be there tearing it up especially right before a storm!

6. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I fish lakes very rarely maybe twice a year but when I go I usually am looking at the bank first to see if it's muddy or rocky checkin for fallen timber, then I check for depth usually by casting my sinker out and seein how long before it hits bottom. I usually like to fish in coves off of the main lake or feeder creeks that spill into the lake

7. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    See spots like that are all taken up by business here in KC on the Missouri River.

8. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    for bank fishing some times its just are you in the right place or not. just sumtimes. as for finding the depths i have sometimes just had to get wet and see exactly what is goin on down there just be very careful!! i usually find a sturdy stick a little taller than myself to help out too just my way of doing things hope this helps some..

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I like fishing the points on any lake that ha steep terrain around it. The points seem to always hold fish.
    Some great advise posted in this thread. Hats off to all you guys.

10. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I agree. :wink:

11. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I just look for something that looks like it should hold cats. Snags and such. But I rarely fish somewhere that I have not at least seen an over head pic from google maps.