Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

No luck..

2K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  KC Jayhawk 78 
#1 ·
Well I woke up this morning and was all excited about the nice day we had out, saw it was suposed to be a high of 65 today and decided I needed to be on a lake. So I hurried and ate breakfast, got some of my gear ready, grabbed a (backup) bag of frozen shad just in case I couldn't get any, as I usualy have trouble on the lakes when it gets cold out, and I was off, put the boat in around 10:45 or so, and started throwin the shad net, and I threw and threw, everywhere from 4 to 40 feet of water. About 1:00 rolled around and I broken-heartley went back to dig the thawing shad out of my livewell and thats when it hit me. No shad in that bag, I had grabbed a bag of phesant my dad had killed last weekend!! Without lookin I threw it in the livewell during my morning rush to hit the water. Didn't even know my ol' man had been phesant hunting (much less killing some!!) without telling me!! Of course, I called him immediatley and that conversations a whole 'nother story. So I'm back to throwing the net, and getting shoved around by the wind...no shad, showed a few schools on the depth finder in about 35 feet, but couldn't catch any to save my life. Didn't want to stay out there with phesant in my livewell, so I finally left the lake around 2:45 without even getting a line wet. Needless to say, I've had better days. Gotta keep the faith though...

Kyle

#5 ·
Kyle, sorry to hear about your sorry luck casting for shad. I went down to the School Creek boat ramp this morning, while the dog was running around, I netted about 5/6 dozen, 3 to 4 inchers from the shore. We've gott'em in our aerated/filterd live well. We'll take you out catchin instead of fishin this weekend if you'd like, let me know!:wink: We can either fish Milford Lake, but right now I prefer going up into the Republican, North of the lake.

#6 ·
Mark, you need to hustle your bustle out here too, while the waters still soft. Tell who ever you gotta tell you've got a toothache, hangover, you have to appear for a line up, or whatever it takes. Come catch some Cat's (fish that is) with us!:smile2:

#7 ·
Kyle

A funny and entertaining post. I can just imagine all kinds of other funnies to be derived from this post.

First of all from the KDWP you did have legal bait in your possesion. http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/fishing/fishing_regulations/legal_bait

A post on the newest and hotest catfish bait -- pheasant! :smile2:

A post on how the bag of shad say wrapped in bacon and cooked would taste by those expecting pheasant for supper! :big_smile: :eek:oooh:

I'm sure your next outing's report will be much better though probably not as entertaining for the BOC readers.:wink:

By the way did you have pheasant for supper?

Also thanks for sharing.

#8 ·
Jim..I greatly appreciate the offer but that conversation I had with my dad turned into weekend plans to go phesant hunt Scott City, out in western kansas, think we're leaving Friday at noon, so I'll have to take a raincheck!!

LBM..thats intresting I was wondering what KDWP might have to say about me having phesant of all things in my livewell. I almost used it, but I can just never bring myself to use anything other than shad.

Wound up cooking it last night, pretty darn good tasting too I must say, for having thawed out in lake water.

Anyways..a buddy and I went back out this morning about 3AM and brought the SHAD this time, didn't even bother casting the net, just wanted to get some lines in the water, and see if the channels were hittin..did pretty darn good, caught a lot of 'good one' sized fish, my buddy Chris caught a real nice one, but I left the scale in my garage, was wondering what you guys would estimate him at?? Only had my 21" bass tape measure too so couldn't measure him even.. GREAT MORNING though, lots of fun to make up for yesterday.. Heres some pics..the one on the deck is just one we caught a lot in that size range. Let em all go.

Kyle

Attachments

#9 ·
Kyle, whenever you're ready, just holler.
Those are some nice looking Cats. The one you're holding I'd guess to be at least a 10+ or so. Looks like a river Cat, they're longer and leaner than our resevoir fish of the same weight. Were you fishing on the river? Thanks for the pics.

#15 ·
Jim--Don't think I'll make it before the hard water. The folks have some health issues going on right now (old people have a LOT of doctor appointments). They top the short list of things that are more important than fishin'. I do have you on the top of my new years resolutions!!

#16 ·
Mark, I know what you mean about "us old folks" having a lot of appointments and doctor visits:smile2: and that's great you're helping'em out.
I'll be looking forward to meeting you next year. We'll be heading for Arknasas Tuesday (20th) to visit our son. His birthday is the 24th, but when he was born in 60, his birthday was Thanksgiving Day, guess who got to eat the turkey dinner in the hospital, it sure wasn't the Frau:smile2: We have to make a stop in KC at the Vein Clinic for the Frau to get a treatment, then we'll continue on down to hillbilly country:smile2:. Wishing you and your's a nice weekend and a happy Thanksgiving Day.
Jerald and me hit the river again today, only caught 5, but they were pretty nice eaters, up to 4.5lbs. Water's down to 48deg so I think that's pretty good fishing. Fishing calendar for today predicted "terrible":smile2:
Till next time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.