No luck

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by madcater, Aug 15, 2007.

1. madcater

madcater New Member

State:
    iowa
    i have been haveing no luck with cut bait liver worms nothing i have put it on the bottom and i have float it no real look just like 3 in the last couple weeks any help i would be glad to hear i fish red rock lake and the river any thing around here thanks :crazy:

2. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    It has been very slow all over!!! I fish just south of Red Rock on Rathbun only thing we are getting hits on are 2-3 inch gills hooked thru the eyes. I have thrown everything in book at them with no hits. My wife keeps throwing gills at them and is getting hits and has hooked up with some good skillet fish. Keep on throwing!!! This weather cools look out!!!

3. madcater

madcater New Member

State:
    iowa
    well went out tonight not a thing i was uesing leachs well iam still lookin 4 them wiskers i am going to the des moines river at box car boat ramp well just west of that ramp if any bodys been up there latly with any luck let me know plz

4. madcater

madcater New Member

State:
    iowa
    its finly startin to ture around:wink:

5. mad catter

mad catter Member

State:
    Iowa
    Been catching most of my cats using frogs.

6. madcater

madcater New Member

State:
    iowa
    we have been uesing dip bait

7. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    We've been catching some good channel cats on cut gills. My dad caught an 11 pounder on Sat. night. I seen 3 flattys caught that night but I was skunked.

8. madcater

madcater New Member

State:
    iowa
    where do live in iowa and where do u fish red??

9. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    I live in west des moines and I fish mostly at the saylorville spillway.

10. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Shad shad shad shad shad .... Unless you are targeting Flatties, then I'd go with a live sunfish

When they are really biting I usually catch bigger fish than the other baits, when they aren't biting I can still manage to coax 1 or 2 into the boat

Find a place where the congregate, get yourself a cast net and learn how to use it and you'll be able to get your own cheap cheap cheap

I haven't been skunked (for catfish anyways) in over 2 years and I haven't bought bait for catfish in nearly 4

It really helps to have a boat, the key is to keep moving until you find them, fish until they quit biting and move on again .... if you fish the same section of river pretty soon you'll learn where they'll be at depending on time of day, season, and water levels/conditions

This has been an especially tricky year on the Mississippi what with the early flood, well below normal water levels during the spawn and now flood level river during late summer .... last time the water on this pool (16) was this high in August was 1993 and it was slowly dropping not rapidly rising ..... Ironically the last time this pool was this low all through July was the late '80's

It's been a weird year but I'm hoping it'll really pick up when the river drops and stabilzes in a couple of weeks (I hope)