No luck tonight.

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by AZOutlaw, Sep 19, 2009.

1. AZOutlaw

AZOutlaw New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I gave to old canal in the area a try tonight to no avail. Has anyone fished the canal that runs between Elliot and Guadalupe? If so what should I look for in a good fishing spot, and what baits seem to work best. We were trying for cats but would take what ever would bite (nothing)
    Moved on over to ASURP with no luck either. Must be a slow time. I was wondering if anyone knew if ASU Research Park even has cats. We were fishing for carp using corn.

2. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Usually those little canals will produce some decent channels!! Dont give up!!:big_smile:

3. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Never fished that canal. ASURP, closes at 10pm, it is 100 percent catch and release, and you have to use barbless hooks as well. They are strict on the 10pm rule. I used to fish it last year with son, the lake (one of many) across the street (west) from the huge Edward Jones building complexes. Yes they have catfish, both Flats and channels. We used worms only, and i think the best we did was 5 pound Flats, and 3 pound channels, but there are supposed to be huge cats in there, and monster carp. Catfishing is not slowing down by any means, in fact, when the water cools a little more, it will be nutso, because they will start their pre winter feeding habits, and this can be an insane time to fish, to the point where I know two people who only fish from late sept-nov.

4. JNHoffman57

JNHoffman57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hmm... Due to being too busy to get out to the lake the last few weeks I was actually having to resort to fishing the canal up here in my end of town the last few days and it's actually been pretty decent. I was at one of my spots right where they have those water flow regulators ( that's what I call them, don't know the proper term ) and I hooked into a nice 3+ lb channel, and lots of other smaller ones too. And those grass carp, and regular carp will readily take any kind of doughball/corn/stinkbait, etc... I have been fishing the phoenix canals since I was like 13, and I would have to say that 95% of my fish have always been taken off chicken livers either fishing in the slow water right before the regulators, and in the fast water right out of them... I'll fish one for about 30-60 minutes and if it starts to slow down, just drive the bank until you get to the next one and start again. I think it's pretty crucial to stay close to those as it's really the only form of major structure in those damn algae covered concrete rivers. I've even caught a bass out of there, on a chicken liver... ha... I think the only reason he hit it though was because the liver I was reeling in had a little piece hanging off the back that resembled a tail of some sort.

Hope this helped!

5. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    what tackle are you using at ASURP? Your regualr stuff or lighter?

6. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    you know me, I travel heavy at all times and places LOL, never followed the barbless hook rule, guess ill let skunko tear into me for denuetering fish again! I know they will let you crush the barb down flat, they will let that fly.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  7. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I figured you were rolling heavy, even there, but figured I'd check since I've never seen you with anything lightweight..

8. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    heavy? dude is ready for war with a 500lb yellowfin

9. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Always better to have it and not need, then the other way around. I did get into an argument with my retarded brother in law, about heavy line. He swore up and down to me, that catfish are like bass, and can see braided line. Of course this is coming from someone, who doesnt fish my spots anymore (thankfully) cause he truly believes the whole hoofman story, and also thinks javelina walking down the road, will just go attack you. Oh yeah, and he TRULY 100% beleives that the Salt River Indians owns those coyotes we hear everytime we are out there, and swear that they let them go, to chase us out of there!

10. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    :smile2::smile2: Hoofman is real,he wears a badge!

11. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    nothing wrong with that...a little overkil never hurt anyone