No luck to be had

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by jconna, Mar 27, 2009.

1. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Well....I ended up coming up with something I figured would enable me to fish with my bumb hand but as luck would have it, never had the opportunity to try it out. Fished with Capt Hugh all day Saturday, and on our own Sun and Monday. Had one decent bite in all that time but no commit. Hard to imagine but not one fish in the boat the whole time between the four of us. Water was pretty muddied up so not sure if this maybe had something to do with it or not? I see Paraguay didn't have any trouble so maybe it was just us? Who knows.....Either way....was better than setting at work and we all had a good time. Thinking about trying to get back down next month to give it another try. Sounds like we have a free guide trip and will probably put in another few days on our own. We'll see if it happens. Till then....Good luck to everyone

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Sorry you didn't have any luck Jeff. But like you said, it's better than just sittin' around. More to report next time I'm sure.

3. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    It's those kind of dry spells that make us really appreciate the "good" days. I look forward to seeing some pics of a couple of hogs from the next trip.

Tight lines.

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    The beginning of May the big Blue cats start to spawn and don't feed. Most of the guides won't fish for blue cats during the spawn. Better turn around and come back in the next three weeks. Sorry you didn't have good luck. Hugh is a good guide.

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Sorry to hear that! What part of the river were you fishing and what types of areas did you set up on?

Kenneth is right, get here before May, and if possible before late April. The last week of April 08 was really crappy for me as well.

I'm surprised you didn't catch anything...but that means you used up all your bad luck....nothing bud good luck your next trip!

6. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Thanks all.....I've heard nothing but good things about Hugh and have nothing different to say myself. That's just fishing, and hopefully the last of my bad luck! Haha

We launched at Dutch Gap all three days and set up on alot of the same types of places we did with Hugh, as well as alot of others. Shallow shoreline, steep drops, flats, got stuck and barely made it back out of the barge pit, Not sure what you call the little inlets on each side below the bridge? (they have breaks set up out of poles). Anyway. set up on them also, deep water in front of the plant, and damn near everything I can think of in between..lol Just didn't seem to be meant to happen. I did see Hugh's buddy (Jason I think?) Sorry if not, I'm horrible with names, but I watched him pull in a 67lb and then got to see it up close when he brought it over to our boat for a weight. Very impressive fish and cool to see....Busy as all get out at work but will do my best to make it happen within a few weeks.