No luck in Blewett Falls North Carolina

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by NCCatter, Apr 10, 2006.

1. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have been trying to fish Blewett Falls a little over the last year and the last 3 times I have gone I have been skunked. Always have luck about 2 miles above Blewett in the river though. Does anybody have any suggestions as to where the cats are in the lake and bait to use?

2. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    You might want to try way up river in shallow water. I've heard of them catching them up there. Also you might want to try below the dam in the Peedee river. I hear they do pretty good there. I would take a shallow running boat. They catch alot in the 30-40lb class. Other then that I don;t have much infor for down there.

3. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have fished down river of the dam, but there are so many rocks it's hard to navigate. How far down u talking about fishing below the dam. I'm assuming you talking about putting in right off 74?

4. crlail41

crlail41 New Member

State:
    Hickory NC
    How's the bank access below the dam at Norwood? Bank fishing there any good? Any access above the dam on Blewitt Falls? I will be bank fishing if I can get to the water.

5. cattmatt_Nc

cattmatt_Nc New Member

State:
    north carolina
    no dont go down 74 and put in. before you get to there their is a place to get off and go to where there is a small bait shop get off therer. this is blewett falls road go to the end take the dirt road on left and follow to boat landing. you will be just below the dam if the water is on then you could eaisly go up to the dam and anchor on one of the rocks... my uncle has caught a blue in the pouring down rain weighing 31 plus..

6. weasel

weasel New Member

State:
    NC
    cattmatt, is that a public access landing? I've never used it but would like to sometime.

7. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yea that is a public landing but I think the water has to be up pretty good. Last time I went down there it was too shallow to put in. Heard there are some pretty good fish in there though. I would think if it's too shallow to put a boat in then it would be possible to wade in...

8. cattmatt_Nc

cattmatt_Nc New Member

State:
    north carolina
    yes it is a public landing. if the water is off then you would have to drive down the bank and try just backing down into the river dont worry you will not get stuck. it is just like driving on hard rocks... i twould be pretty eaisy to get up to the dam if the water is on. but if it is off and you have a good shallow floating boat then you could just wade up to the dam eaisly

9. PEE DEE RIVER RAT

PEE DEE RIVER RAT New Member

hey that is a great place to fish .. i have caught a lot of large fish in that area.. but be careful .. make sure the river is at full .. look across from the landing to the shore across you can usually see a water mark on the side over there to let you know if it is a full or not.. also if you go up to the apron of the damn be careful and find something that you can keep your eye on.. i have know a lot of boats to get trapped in there if not careful.. i am going to try and talk to progress energy and see if they can have some kind of alerting horn or something they can put in place for saftey..

10. cattmatt_Nc

cattmatt_Nc New Member

State:
    north carolina
    pee dee river rat do you have an email adress? i would love to talk to you some time:big_smile:

11. weasel

weasel New Member

State:
    NC
    pee dee river rat, I suppose you mean boats getting trapped behind the damn because of the water dropping? I will just take a john boat I can tote out if necessary.