No Longer Boatless and bank/shore bound

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Sentry Dog Man, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Well, Guys and Gals of the BOC, I am no longer boatless and limited to just a few bank/shore fishing areas (which are few and far between on the lakes that I fish).

I bit the bullet today and bought a boat (very similiar to one that a fellow BOC member had for sale but I was a day or two late in seeing his ad and he had already sold it to a fellow BOC member in Ohio).

Anyway, picked up a 1992 Tracker, Pro Deep V, 16 footer. With, 40 hp Evinrude, Eagle Ultra Classic fish/depth finder,
    Minn Kota trolling motor, a Johnson 3hp kicker, hooked in tandem with the Evinrude. Also, several rod holders already installed. It was set up basically, like how I thought I wanted to set a boat up for catfishing. And, come to find out that the guy who had the boat was a pretty hardcore striper and catfisherman. He is 84 years old and said he just could not get in the boat that easily anymore and thought it was time to get rid of it. It really hurt him to part with the boat. Since, it was such a large part of his life. And, now knowing that he could not do things that he once could do, while much younger.

He had done a neat set up with the livewell and aeration system. Had one seperate compartment that he rigged for just putting ice in and then later pumping the colder water into the main livewell where he kept all his Shad. And, a filtration system as well, to take care of scales, excrement etc.

Anyway, if all goes well, I will take and post some pix of my rig within the next few days. I am as excited as a 4 yr old at Christmas. Since, it has been over 20 years since I have had a boat. Thus, I had to go ahead and post this before I took pix etc. Hoping, that you might share in my excitement over a new toy. That, hopefully, will enable me to get into a few more catfish than I was getting in my extremely limited bank fishing areas

2. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Welcome to Boaters World. Sure is nice to get out on the water. Open up a lot of doors fish wise. Hope you have a bunch of fun with it. What did you have to give for it if you don't mind my asking? I've got a couple small boats and looking for something bigger.

3. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Couldn't be happier for ya brother! I know how excited I was when I got my boat last year, and I'm even more excited this year about it, knowing that I'll have the means to do some work on it and turn it into something, and that before long I'll be getting my own truck to pull it with. Congrats, and I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we can't wait to see the pics! :big_smile:

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Break
    Out
    Another
    Thousand, or twenty

Congrats on the new boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They say the best day for a boat owner is the day they buy it and the day they sell it. I believe that was said by someone who did not have one!!!!!

5. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Mike, Congrats on the new boat. They are a lot of fun. Maybe you can take the older gentleman you bought the boat from fishing some time. I'm sure it would mean a lot to him and a guy can never have too many fishing buddies. Have fun with the new ride.

ST

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Way to go Mike!!! I'm very happy for you. Now go out and catch a big one. Bigcatman0816.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Think your fairly bristling with enthusiasim, which should keep you cat fishing for several years not... when the enthusiasim starts to wear down, you'll catch your personal best cat and start the cycle all over. Good luck. Tight Lines, and watch those cats.

8. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I love my boat, it does keep me broke. Congrats on yours. Of course there are days like yesterday. I caught zero, but got to watch a bank fisherman land a nice one about 100 yards from the ramp while I was waiting to load. Made my day, I had decided that they weren't biting and found out it was just me.

Jim

9. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Congrats on the boat. Always like seeing pics of others rigs.

10. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Get outta jail FREE card. All those trips to that choice spot are now yours! Sounds like you got the right setup Mike, just get her named and in the water. Out here you are either a "boat slime" or a "bank maggot" depending on wheather you own a boat or fish from the bank. I've found I clean up pretty good for an old fella so I don't mind being a "boat slime".
    Don

11. RRaider

RRaider Guest

Fantastic! Hope to be making a simular post in a couple of weeks.

12. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    good things come to those who wait.congradulations

13. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Congrats on the boat... Hope it gives you many years of pleasure..

14. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Congrats on the boat, no better feeling to be moving over the water in your own boat.

15. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Mike, The way Seedtick said is more of what I would consider doing! If the Older fisherman is close or if you are able to plan a trip whereby he can participate, this would be Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!! For you, Enjoy your New Toys and Catch some FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

16. mjbarby

mjbarby New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    grats on the boat, it can open up alot of oportunities for you

17. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I was thinking the same thing,as I was reading about your good fortune.I was also thinking"HE has already thought of that".Even though I can seldom go,the offers mean so much to me.My wife is from Erwin.I loved to fish the area.I never could catch much in the winter,tho I tried hard.I enjoyed it year round.I met a lot of good people,who treated me well.I miss it all.Wish I was able to go back.I hope and wish you the best with your boat.Will be waiting to hear how you do.peewee-williams

18. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    I would like to express a sincere, Thank You, to all who have replied, wishing me good luck, success etc. with the new boat. It is great to have a common ground with people you do not know personally but yet you still call them friends. And, they share in your "high and low" moments. Being happy over something that has made you happy. Or, giving advice or encouragement etc.

As for some comments/suggestions, concerning taking the elderly gentleman I bought the boat from, out on a fishing trip sometime. Well, my wife and I discussed that very thing as we were driving home with the boat. And, hopefully, I will be able to do so. One problem though, it is very hard to communicate with him, due to the loss of most of his hearing. He has two hearing aids but even with him using those, you cannot even talk to him on the phone. His wife has to relay the conversation back and forth. And, even face to face it is a real struggle for him to understand what you are saying. Thus, this might prove to be a problem (for safety reasons alone) if I was trying to warn him of something while out in the boat. But, maybe we can get something figured out.

It sure would be great to take him and learn from him. I could surely tell that he knew what he was talking about, when it came to fishing. Especially, concerning, trolling for Stripers.

He lives around 60 to 70 miles from here and I don't get down that way to often. But, in his general area, I had been hoping (for sometime) to get down that way to fish. So, maybe it will work out, sometime this summer.

Once again, "Thanks" for sharing in my excitement over my new rig. It has been a long 20 plus years without a boat. And, it is great to be marine mobile again.

I did start a new thread (in this section (General Catfishing)) where I posted pix of the rig (as promised)

19. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Mike, Great news on owning your own boat! I wouldn't give anything for mine! She is old but she's just wonderful! What are you going to name your boat?? You know it's bad luck not to name your boat. Now you can join in on the blessing of the fleet in your area, if they have that sort of thing in your neck of the woods? Awesome!
    Remember, don't forget the drain plug!:0a22:

20. drcwaynem

drcwaynem New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I know the feeling. I am still dealing with the joy of being free of the bank alone. Your set-up sounds pretty close to mine other than the 3hp kicker. I seem to have been out almost every weekend since I got it and will be out again a couple times this weekend to come. Here Fishy, fishy !!!

Good Luck and Congratulations!!!